1796 Middlesex Stag with plow 1/2 penny grade thoughts

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by COOPER12, Nov 23, 2020.

1. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

seller pics but curious if you can take anything from these photos, it is raw and not graded.
    I could see it at AU-58 or possibly 55. looks nice to me.

how do you all see it?
    Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 8.20.21 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 8.20.42 AM.png

Jim Dale and Chris B like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. COOPER12

I am thinking of picking this one up , just curious what you all think it would grade at?

4. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

In my opinion, 55 would be a best-case scenario. I'm thinking more 50-53.

Magnus87 and COOPER12 like this.
  5. COOPER12

thanks I am not sure what these are worth but its a cool piece . I think its AU but can see it being lower grade AU maybe 53 now that i have looked at a few Uncirculated ones online.

6. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

The parallel scratches in the field above the plow make me think it might have an old cleaning. It looks AU, but you may get a Details grade for cleaning.

This is Middlesex DH-1041. There are two edge lettering varieties that are very common, and a few that are quite rare. Not a lot of people collect Conder tokens by edge lettering varieties, but I would guess this is one of the common edge varieties either DH-1041 (engrailed and "PAYABLE IN LONDON") or DH-1041e (milled edge).

If you go by the Dalton & Hamer guide (DH), the stag is considered the obverse, and the plow is the reverse. Both sides are great designs - but on a common token.

COOPER12 likes this.
  7. COOPER12

thanks for the response. I will know when it gets here better but was thinking those scratches whee cabinet rub possibly it does not look to have typical cleaning hairlines but it’s not in my hand. As far as being common is there anywhere that states mintage on any of these conder tokens in general? Thanks for the info

8. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

You're not going to find mintages for 99%+ of Conder tokens.

COOPER12 likes this.
  9. COOPER12

thats what I was afraid of but still pretty cool the quality of coin, token you can get for the money on many of these for a coin minted in the 1700's its pretty amazing really.

10. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I'm with the others at AU-55. I like the coin, good luck.

11. COOPER12

I ended up winning it for 49.00 so not a lot into it . Will be a nice one to look at . I dont think it would be worth sending it in to grading do to the cost. Still happy to have it.

Draft saved Draft deleted