1795 Silver Dollar. Genuine?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ilmcoins, Nov 18, 2017.

1. ilmcoins

ilmcoins Well-Known Member

What do you think? Genuine?

20171118_220303.png
    Screenshot_20171118-220215.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ilmcoins

The "5" seems off to me but perhaps due to wear. If you deem legit, would you agree with G06?

4. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Shouldn't the denticles go the whole way to the edge of the coin? Especially on the reverse?

5. ilmcoins

Image from PCGS photograde. The denticles go to the edge on them but seem to wear off in lower grades as seen in this image.

Screenshot_20171118-222906.jpg

6. ilmcoins

Here are the higher grades from PCGS photograde showing denticles to the edge.
    Screenshot_20171118-223144.jpg

7. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

From the photos, I don't see anything that screams "fake!" But the photos aren't great and it could be a better than average forgery.
    After these coins were struck they were put through the Castaing machine to apply the lettered edge, this compressed them enough to raise a bit of a rim, so you don't always see the dentils go clear to the edge.
    On the otherhand, collar struck fakes from China will show a sharp rim all the way around
    The coin in the op is pretty worn down in the center but has sharp looking dentils which makes me suspicious after looking at the images from pcgs helpfully posted above.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  8. ilmcoins

This is the only edge photo that was provided. How would you grade this one?
    Screenshot_20171118-223822.jpg

9. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Since it wasn't struck in a collar, it shouldn't have the raised area as seen on the reverse from 4:00 to 9:00. The reeds should go to the edge uninterrupted or be smooth. This coin wasn't struck in 1795... or '96 or '94, etc. Maybe 1994.

10. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Does the 9 and 5 look right?

11. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I think @Dougmeister was pointing out on your coin at 6'oclock, the denticles do not go to the edge, but instead run into a lip. That lip, combined with the general fabric of the coin make me suspicious. I would not buy it if offered to me.

12. ilmcoins

I thought it looked similar to the 45 in the photo below regarding the "lip"

Screenshot_20171118-224751.jpg

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

If real, this is B-5/BB-27, the most common variety for the type. Gross details seem appropriate for the variety; it's known for a "bar" behind the hair - draw a line through the center of the 5th star and the eye, and the bar is on that line close to the hair - but I won't necessarily expect to see that on this G6-VG8ish example.

Damaged on the upper right reverse and possibly TED as well. This is a $2000+ coin in a straight slab, and a bunch of money to risk on such poor images.

I'm unworried about the "rim" just showing on a small part of the coin, per previous mention of the variances of Castaing Machine workings.

Feelin' lucky today? :)

14. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

15. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I disagree. You coin looks like what happens when a mold is taken of a coin, and the mod is transferred to a die. Think through the process, when you transfer and your not careful, you end up with a lip around the coin on your fake die. That is what you coin looks like.

I'm not an expert on these, I use to collect large cents and have moved onto ancients. When I look at authenticity, the first think I look for is coin fabric, and yours looks off. I can't tell you exactly, because it's not left brain process, but I would pass if it were me.

16. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Unfortunately the edge photos aren't very helpful, besides being blurry they would only show lettering which is very easy to fake (as opposed to edge reeding on later issues). Just to be clear, while I can't outright condemn the coin, I would not make an offer based on those images.

17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The date looks wrong to me, too!

Chris

18. ilmcoins

I was able to get a few more photos sent to me. What are we thinking?

Screenshot_20171118-234259.jpg
    20171118_234415.png
    Screenshot_20171118-234527.jpg
    Screenshot_20171118-234609.jpg
    Screenshot_20171118-234939.jpg

19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

What does it weigh?
    The lettering looks right on both sides.
    You have to get several experts to examine this coin. Something about it has my spider sense tingling. As if it was aged intentionally, and why is the date and lettering so legible in a silver coin this old and circulated?
    I would guess skeptical until proven otherwise.

20. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The bust on these was rather high relief when struck, and usually wears out of proportion to the rest of the coin.

I'm not comfortable with it for any rational reason I can explain, possibly just collector paranoia. It's tantalizing. :)

21. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

Im sorry man...but i believe this one is not genuine. The tale tale signs to me are the fact that the coin looks artificially aged. Also, the 5 looks very odd to me, and on the genuine specimens the 9 has a bit of a tilt to it. The 9 on this coin is more upright. If we could see clearer pics of the edge lettering, that would help also.

Paul Otts likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted