1795 Liberty Cap S-77 VF reed edge:

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Philip Runion, Jan 10, 2021.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Very interesting coin! I wonder if someone took an S-77 and tooled some reeding onto it.

@John Wright let me know what you eventually think of this coin. If it is a legitimate reeded edge, that would be an amazing find, and I would have to update my book accordingly

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Philip Runion

Philip Runion New Member

We plan to have the coin certified.

4. TypeCoin971793

The TPGs usually lack the expertise to verify new variety discoveries. That is usually done my the related organization (EAC), which the TPG will refer to to certify the coin

5. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Interesting coin. @Eduard you may want to read this thread!

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I sent John Wright's email to Phillip.

Personally it looks to me like an S-77 struck on an older "lettered edge" planchet that wasn't run through the Castaining machine to apply the edge lettering. The vertical lines on the edge are not reeding or milling, they are the shear marks from the punching out of the blank from the strip. Since it wasn't run through the Castaining machine the shear marks were not flattened out. Harry Salyard (Editor of Penny-Wise, the EAC journal) has/had a similar piece of a lower weight.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  7. TypeCoin971793

That makes a lot of sense. That would explain why the edge marks appeared random in depth and shape

8. Philip Runion

Philip Runion New Member

New pics . Seems to be a reed edge in parts of the edge. Reeded_Near_Liberty.jpg Reeded_Near_Cap.jpg Front_Tissue_Background.jpg Back_Tissue_Background.jpg

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  9. Philip Runion

Philip Runion New Member

Picture showing the reeded lines compered to a S-79 coin.

Attached Files:

10. Philip Runion

Philip Runion New Member

11. Philip Runion

Philip Runion New Member

The more we look at the coin and compare to a S-79 . This could be a one of one S-77 . Now the next step is verify.

12. Philip Runion

Philip Runion New Member

13. Philip Runion

Philip Runion New Member

I think your wrong...

Draft saved Draft deleted