1795 Half Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Packrat, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

This coin is coming up in an estate auction. Not my area of expertise. Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance. 13523034_0.jpg 13523035_4.jpg 13523036_4.jpg 13523037_8.jpg 13523038_8.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

If I was you I wouldn't give longshot any credibility, but he thinks maybe the reverse especially looks buffed or smoothed somehow.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I don't see this as a terrible coin. Yes the reverse is super flat, but I don't see cleaning hairlines. When it comes to a well circulated coin of this vintage, you can expect that it's been cleaned at one time or another. The question is, had it been damaged significantly. I don't think so.

Now as to what to pay, I've been out of loop for a long time. If you can buy it for somewhere in the VG to Fine range, that would be okay. The trouble with estate sales is that you can have people with more money that brains show up and bid it to the moon. Less often no one bothers and it goes cheap, but don't go in thinking that is going to happen.

CommemHalfScrub and ksparrow like this.
  5. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

It appears to be a Fine O-109 (or T-16 on the new Steve Tompkins guide) an R-4 coin. This means that somewhere between 75 and 200 examples of the die variety are known to exist.

longshot likes this.
  6. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Is there any kind of authentication? If not, I don't think I'd touch it.

Penna_Boy likes this.
  7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

From the photos, there is no reason to doubt that it's genuine, but if you have not had much experience with these early pieces, I can understand your hesitancy.

8. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

Pictures? And look how the coin is being handled. Even a G08 1795 rates a TPG slab. I would pass if I were offered the coin.

manny9655 likes this.
  9. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

It looks genuine, but in an estate sale, once you buy it, it's yours, even if you discover problems later. If you have the chance to examine it yourself up close, that could affect the risk/benefit calculations.

Penna_Boy and johnmilton like this.
  10. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

thanks everyone for your input. Seller has some gold bullion, including mint products. Just don't see these early ones often. Sometimes there is a "sleeper" and just wanted to be prepared.

Draft saved Draft deleted