1795 Gold Half Eagle recovered

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by thomas mozzillo, Dec 18, 2019.

1. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

This is good news.

Sure, the outer FedEx box was torn away and so the inner box was separated from it and that is how the coin was lost? Puleeeese...the FedEx company gave THAT as an explanation of what probably happened? Sounds like the investigation is going to lead back to FE....j/s.. (of course, I could be wrong).

5 pounds of Colombian coffee (sello rojo) that FedEx says was delivered the other day never arrived to me. With the price of coffee... I guess someone helped themselves to mine. There went my coffee budget allotment for 6 months. (sigh)

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Sure is comforting to know that criminals are not very smart. A raw 1795 half eagle would be suspicious. But to sell the thing in the same slab it was stolen in is..... Well, lets just say not very bright. Glad the half eagle was returned to its rightful owner.

Stevearino likes this.
  5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I wonder what the fate of the coin will be. I would certainly assume that when you ship a coin with $100K through FedEx it is insured...and when the coin is lost while in the possession of FedEx that the insurance would pay for the loss. So, the owner who shipped it in 2014 would no longer own the coin...right?

NSP and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  6. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Hey, I've been to that shop! I'm glad they found that coin again.

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It hasn't been returned yet. It's still evidence.
    Good thing he didn't go on Pawn Stars as they would have claimed to
    have already melted it. And therefore can't return it.

CamaroDMD likes this.
  8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would imagine the insurance company that paid the claim owns it. The buyer did not have to pay, the seller most likely got the insurance proceeds, and the insurance company at the time had to pay, so now they are the owners.

9. CamaroDMD

That's what I would think as well.

10. It was not returned to it's rightful owner. it is in police custody to be used as evidence

11. CamaroDMD

This probably isn't as bad as it seems...as was discussed earlier, the rightful owner is probably an insurance company.

12. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

The insurance company definitely does own it. They will sell it back if you ask. They don’t want it

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Bingo, the insurance company will typically allow the former owner to buy it back, usually for the return of the settlement money. So he'll be able to get the $127K coin back for $80+K. Sounds like a deal. (Of course if they find out they could sell it for $127K, they might not let him buy it back and just keep ownership.)

Draft saved Draft deleted