1795 draped bust dollar counterfeit

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by potty dollar 1878, Mar 20, 2022.

1. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Looks Okay to me. If ANAC graded it and the holder hasn't been tampered with then what else can we say but genuine, no?

Ronald J Dawley, wxcoin and KBBPLL like this.
  4. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

It looks genuine to me.

It matches the BB-51 die marriage. The obverse is the correct off-centered bust for the die marriage-Check!. The B is directly over the highest hair curl-Check! The lowest curl is distant from 1-CHECK! The reverse is the correct one to match the obverse: Small Letters-Check! Eagle stands on clouds-Check! Right wreath is palms-Check! Left wreath is olives with seven berries-Check! Berry under A of STATES-Check!

In addition to the die marriage characteristics, nothing about it speaks to a clever, well-done forgery.

So, what about it gives you the willies?

5. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

The appearance,it's dark cloudy texture had the look of a counterfeit to me.

6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It looks genuine, but the surfaces have been stripped at given a layer of artificial toning that looks really artificial. It was probably part of the plugging process.

-jeffB likes this.
  7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes, the US Mint plugged it for sure especially since it's graded. Big ticket item, way beyond my finances! :D

Ronald J Dawley likes this.
  8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The Mint didn't plug it. It was holed by someone at 12:00 on the obverse after it left the mint and someone has plugged the hole and recolored the coin.

NSP likes this.
  9. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Does NOT match the known Chinese counterfeit off-center bust dollar family.

10. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Surely you jest:D...

11. Jedinited

Jedinited Jayhawk Numismatist

Genuine and overpriced...

12. johnmilton

Yes, the price is too high even if the coin had not been holed and plugged.

13. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  14. johnmilton

The U.S. Mint drove additional metal into the planchets to increase their weight during 1794 and part of 1795, not to fill a hole that someone drove into the planchets.

I might be wrong, but I believe that these "plugged pieces" were limited to the Flowing Hair type dollars which were struck a few months earlier that these pieces. I am not aware of any Draped Bust dollars that had plugs for weight augmentation.

The Specimen Strike of the 1794 dollar, which is graded SP-66 and has changed hands for $12 million, has such a plug. Look at the area on Ms. Liberty's neck and jaw.

1794 Spec O.jpeg 1794 Spec R.jpeg

fretboard and NSP like this.
  15. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

The coin is real but, it wasn't plugged at the mint. The plugging was done to fill a hole drilled in it to hang on a chain.

16. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

1795's are notorious for fakes. Yours has issues but does not appear to be fake. Good luck.

17. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Not fake. However, it is in my opinion unattractive besides the hole/plug and not something I would want to spend $3k on.

18. 1865King

Here is my 1795 Bust dollar that was plugged/repaired. The repair was done in the T in LIBERTY. 1795 Dollar B14 OBV (2).jpg 1795 Bust Dollar Plugged Rev (2).jpg

johnmilton and Omegaraptor like this.
  19. johnmilton

@1865King, the obverse repair work on that 1795 dollar is scary good. The reverse is more obvious.

20. 1865King

There is a guy that does great work today. I don't know if he did my coin but whoever did it did a great job. One thing he does though is not make it perfect. You can see that when you look at the T. The person had the skill to make it almost impossible to detect. But left something that could be detected.

Jack D. Young likes this.
  21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That would probably be Allen Stockton or his son who now runs the business.

Draft saved Draft deleted