1795 Carolus IIII DeI Gratia 8 reale with counter stamp value

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by seaweednh, Jan 18, 2011.

1. seaweednh

seaweednh New Member

What is the value of this Carolus IIII DeI Gratia 8 reale with counter stamp.

I don't know much about coins so I thought I would ask those who know. This belongs to my Aunt and was offered a low price for it. I just want to make sure the value before she sells it.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Assuming it is genuine, and I see no reason to think it is not but ya never know, and in that condition I would estimate the coin to be worth about $350-$400.

It is a well known counterstamp known as a Bank of England dollar. They were counterstamped by the Royal Mint during the Napoleonic War. There was even a famous saying about these coins at the time - "the head of a fool on the neck of an ass". To make it more approriate, the King of England and the King of Spain, the two men being referred to, were cousins.

4. seaweednh

seaweednh New Member

Her husband was a coin collector. When he died, she sold most of his coins to a local dealer including a gold coin (she didn't even know it was gold. She later found this one with some of his US silver. The dealer offered her $50 for it. I thought this to be low and took the coin to find out the worth and hopefully get her a fair price, she's on a fixed income, unfortunately property taxes are not. What is the best avenue to sell it? Is it worth having it graded? and if so, be whom?

Thanks again,
    Ron

5. GDJMSP

At $350-$400 yeah it's worth having it graded, but it's not necessary. Here's a recent sale - http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotvi...ot=21114&Val=1800f37fedfce516a063a64f9285af98

As you can see the coin in the sale is much nicer condition. It is also a retail price since it was sold at auction. Selling it to a dealer you cannot expect to get a retail price. You can only do that by selling it to a collector. And that could take a while.

You could try advertising it here in the Classifieds (it's free to members with 10 post or more) section and a collector may show an interest. Or if you'd like to try selling it to a dealer I could recommend a couple if you like. But you could probably only expect an offer of $150-$200.

6. MARIAP

MARIAP New Member

014.jpg 008.jpg Hi, I am new to all this and I have this exact coin, but they are seperated..on one coin it has the same pictured as above but the reverse has words that read : Charles IV of Spain 1788-1808 George III of England 1780-1820...they actually look like they can be placed together...I have no clue! They are heavy and are all silver. Can they be the ones used to make these coins?? Any info would be appreciated, I am not good at taking pictures of these...but I can try and show you, just tell me how to photograph better pictures please.
    Thanks, Maria in Boston

7. GDJMSP

Howdy Maria -

What you have there are not genuine coins. They are probably fairly modern reproductions that were made for sale in tourist shops.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I would agree with Doug's value estimate. I would think you should easily get $150 to $200 for that bank of England dollar.

The quote Doug mentioned was part of a little verse popular at the time

A dollar of Spain
    for five shillings to pass
    Stamp the head of a fool
    On the neck of an Ass.

They came about because England was critically short on coinage during the late 18th century and early 19th century, and the royal mint was in very sorry shape mechanically. But they did have a large quantity of Spanish 8 reales on hand that had been captured by British Privateers from Spanish shipping. The problem was how to recoin them. At first they used a silversmiths hallmark stamp of the King's bust and counterstamped the coins. These counterstamped coins would then be accepted at a rate of 4 shilling s nine pence (later raised to five shillings). This continued until 1804 when the government accepted an offer from Matthew Boulton to handle the recoinage. He struck a full design of a Bank of England dollar over the entire coin that wiped out most of the underlying design. This finally convinced the British government to contract with Boulton to purchase a new state of the art steam powered mint.

9. MARIAP

MARIAP New Member

Thank you for the quick response...I wasnt sure since they were together wrapped up in some tissue, while we were looking thru thousands of foreign coins left behind by my inlaws. I have tons of foreign coins! Also, I must have at least a thousand wheat pennies, some peace dollars, silver certificates, Susan B anthony, Gold toned dollar coins, JFK silver half dollars, Ben Franklin silver...too many to list, But I have to say, its alot of fun looking at these forums and rerading on old money!!
    Thank you again!

10. GDJMSP

Glad to be of help. Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have any ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted