1794 Silver Dollar coming to auction.... wow

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bradgator2, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Yeah and another 100,000 on it’s holder. 10,000 for running strobe lighting. Seating and refreshments. Now your going to need signs etc..

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Yes. Much More Better choice.

4. Cheech9712

1758. What dollar coin is that?

5. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

That was the total mintage of 1794 dollars.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  6. Cheech9712

You just hadta

7. markr

markr Active Member

@Conder101 I never want to dispute anything you say because I know the odds are prohibitively high I'd come out on the short end, but I think the $10 million was at an auction. Here is a youtube of the auction:

Am I missing something?

GoldFinger1969 and mynamespat like this.
  8. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Ok, kind of a side piece... I saw Q. David Bowers sitting in the video. I used to work at a YMCA in the fitness center at about the same time as Mr. Bowers was working on the Newman collection. I didn't even realize it at the time, but I'm pretty damn sure he was a semi regular at the gym while I was working there. I mean... a guy who is normally dressed to the T in a tie, in gym shorts. High value numismatics wasn't even on my radar at the time, being in my early 20's working minimum wage at a gym... but had I realized it I might have been much more sociable. I think I remember a gym reg asking me to check up on him because he was taking a nap in an isolated corner. I definitely remember that he looked way out of his comfort zone in gym shorts and a T-shirt. Ok, end of story.

David Betts likes this.
  9. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see if he makes any $$$ on the sale.....maybe Sperber/Legend already knows someone will pay $12 MM or so for it....need a specific buyer for a coin this expensive.

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

He unfortunately had Covid earlier this year that from his comments on CU seemed to be pretty hard on him. Given the substantial amount of money his collection is worth his reasons are unlikely to be profit motivated despite what some are suggesting.

Theres three coins with opening bids including this one from his own words.

https://forums.collectors.com/discu...ollection-of-early-dollars-regency-auction-41

Tradedollarnut is his poster name there

Draft saved Draft deleted