1794 S-50 Liberty Cap Large Cent

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Boot, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Boot

Boot Junior Member

S-50o.jpg S-50o.jpg S50r.jpg This is reportedly a 1794 Sheldon 50 variety Large Cent. The Sheldon 50 is rated at R-5 or rare. This means there are only 30-75 of them known. It is a rated coin, but by a lesser company. I welcome any ratings, confirmation and valuation of the coin. Thanks in advance.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Boot likes this.
  4. Boot

Boot Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. As I said, it is graded. Just as you stated (VF details). I'm trying to get a sense of the value of this coin inspite of the damage. Frankly, I'm quite happy to have a coin that is R5. I had found the link previously, which was helpful in understanding both the Sheldon variety and a sense of the rarity.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  5. Boot

Boot Junior Member

I sure wish this was NGC. This is part of the reason for my question. Confirmation of the grade, and a sense of the value. I've done quite a bit of digging, but I'm novice. I want other opinions. Thank you Markus1959 for chiming in.

Attached Files:

6. Markus1959

Yeah - I read in a comparison of TPG's and SEGS rated poor on almost every catagory including Grading Accuracy and Ability to detect Altered, Repaired, Damaged, Cleaned and Couterfeits. I saw a few damaged ones on E-bay (not knowing the sheldon #) that people were asking from 300$ - 600$ - But that is asking price nnot the selling price.

7. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Ouch. IMO it would be well worth the money to crack it out and have it authenticated by a reputable TPG. NGC PCGS ANACS. As Markus said I would say about Fine Details.

Boot likes this.
  8. Boot

Boot Junior Member

I see that it didn't stack up well too. The Sheldon rating, in this case confounds the issue greatly. An S-50 is much more rare than the bulk of what is listed for a standard 1794 same head issue. I think the coin would have gone for much more, if it was rated by NGC or PCGS. I will decide if having it re-graded is worth while...

9. Boot

Boot Junior Member

Thanks Furham. I might do that, just to have piece of mind. I will have group of coins to grade out soon. It may make the trip with them.

10. Markus1959

Good for you. It is a rare variety that you may never have a chance to own again unless you have thousands if not 10,000's of dollars laying around that you don't know what to do with! :)

Boot likes this.
  11. Boot

Boot Junior Member

Ha, not since I started collecting coins. A fool and his money...

gronnh20 and furham like this.
  12. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Have you had this coin for sale recently on e:bay?

13. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

14. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

FWIW, while SEGS is not a 1st tier TPG, I feel they do a relatively good job with early copper.
    I agree with their grade of VF Details.

Boot likes this.
  15. Markus1959

And the Cleveland Browns keep thinking Josh Gordon will become a model citizen and start doing a relatively good job as an NFL receiver!!

furham likes this.
  16. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I know we shoudn't hijack the thread, but Josh Gordon is in the process of ruining a very promising career. The Browns would be better off cutting him loose.

17. Markus1959

And package him with Manziel- not to hijack the thread but maybe throw in a few Chinese counterfiet 1870 Indian Cents just to make the deal legit!!

18. Markus1959

Oh PS - the damaged/ fine detailed one cent is much worth having than even of the 2 said - hope that helps!!!

19. Boot

Boot Junior Member

I bought it recently (on e-bay).

20. Boot

Boot Junior Member

I'm not sure I follow.

21. Boot

Boot Junior Member

Draft saved Draft deleted