1794 LC S-variety?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by hawknuts, Mar 25, 2011.

1. hawknuts

hawknuts New Member

Can anyone estimate the S-variety of this coin based on the little detail left? I found this in a field near an old tavern. TIA, hawknuts

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Post a picture of the reverse also.

4. hawknuts

hawknuts New Member

1794 Reverse

Attached Files:

5. mark_h

I was thinking a S-58.Not 100% sure.

6. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Great find. Worth around $400. Good going.

7. hawknuts

hawknuts New Member

What about a grade? I know it's heavily worn but I'd be interested in what others think.

8. mark_h

I would net it at AG details. Just my humble opinion.

9. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I concur on the S-58 R3. The detail grade is difficult due to uneven wear at the top of the obverse. I would go with G4 Detail Net AG3/damaged. The retail price for this would probably be closer to $100 than $400 and wholesale (what a dealer would pay) about half that. Check eBay prices realized, not buy it now for estimates.

Since your question was about subvarieties and not attribution, you probably just want to know that it is a head of 1794 so you can look it up in a redbook. This is a NET 3 which my 2010 redbook calls $140 on AG3. Ignore detail grades when pricing. It is a little high and for problem free coins. It is scarce, but not rare as a variety.

It will have the words ONE HUNDRED FOR A DOLLAR along the edge and weight just south of 208 grains due to wear, perhaps 185 grains +/- 10 grains in this condition.

Draft saved Draft deleted