1794 Large Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TypeCoin971793, Nov 19, 2017.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Thoughts? :D

IMG_1766.JPG IMG_1767.JPG

tmeyer likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

4. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Expensive? ;-)

spirityoda likes this.
  5. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

In the words of a bunch of different Star Wars characters, “I have a bad feeling about this.” Something about it says “modern day China” more than “1794 Philadelphia.”

kaosleeroy108, Kasia, Insider and 4 others like this.
  6. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

There are a number of things that make me feel uneasy about this coin.

The raised bumps above '94' and near the lower pole.
    The 'E' in States is incomplete, and it does look like a 'natural mint' occurrence.
    The shape of the zeros in 1/100 look out of whack.

Unless you could match those with known genuine copies, I think I'd steer clear. And then there's always the age old question on a coin like this: why isn't it slabbed?

Oldrdawg likes this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

What's that between the 9 and the 4 below the neck? What's going on with the "E" in STATES? The number 100 looks a little mushy. The "N's" in ONE and CENT are completely off. Unless this is a "variety". Leaves look wrong.
    Again could be a diff variety than my photo.
    Here is one to compare:
    1794 libertycap large cent Head of 95rev.jpg

Oldrdawg likes this.
  8. TypeCoin971793

Random bumps should not be an instant idicator that a coin is fake, particularly early coppers. Take S-30 and S-25 for example. But it is a good first step that leans heavily towards fake until proven otherwise.

And comparing photos between two different varieties of early US coins will certainly point out many differences, even if both coins are genuine.

But yes, I ordered this coin from China. 'Tis fake.

Oldrdawg likes this.
  9. LuxUnit

LuxUnit Well-Known Member

C-B-D and Oldrdawg like this.
  10. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

TO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!

Oldrdawg likes this.
  11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

My thoughts.....
    Is I believed by ordering such a specimen you endanger the hobby in many ways.
    True it is your money,however......by doing so you opened a Pandora's box so to speak.
    It to me is the same as introducing a non native species into an environment.
    True this item will not reproduce,but still has the potential to do damage let out of a controled environment.
    Also by buying such you validate the counterfeits existence,as well place questions in the minds of others of your motives.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Dynoking, Aotearoa, SchwaVB57 and 2 others like this.
  12. ilmcoins

ilmcoins Well-Known Member

Isnt it illegal to knowingly import counterfeit items?

Dynoking and Oldrdawg like this.
  13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

14. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Oldrdawg and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  15. Paddy54

I would guess your statement to stand correct. I am sure U.S. Customs would ban such an item ,as they do when inspecting goods from other nations.
    Knock off watches,clothes, etc...that are named under copy write,or patens laws would be confiscated and destroyed.
    I can only imagine the same fate would be for an item as such ordered by the op.
    I would also believe that the act of importing such items would be unlawful under U.S. codes.

Oldrdawg likes this.
  16. TypeCoin971793

All of my fakes will be donated to the ANA for use in the counterfeit detection program when I am done with them. I bought them to get a hands-on feel for modern Chinese fakes, which has been an extremely valuable lesson. I let other people examine them so they can get a feel for them as well, some of whom have never knowingly seen a fake before.

That is correct.

They are subject to seizure by Customs, but since they were not seized, they entered this country legally.

Stevearino and Oldrdawg like this.
  17. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

You know if the people in China don't start regulating this stuff, they're going to end up with a bad reputation and folks will have to stop and think before buying their 1893-S Morgan and 1794/5 Flowing Hair Dollars from these vendors.

Kentucky, Stevearino and CamaroDMD like this.
  18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

How would US Customs know if they are real or fake?

Oldrdawg likes this.
  19. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Thoughts beyond the fact that it's fake?

Oldrdawg likes this.
  20. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

Beyond the fact that it's a fake, it's a scary fake. With 2 cups of wear and aging (to bring it to about "Fine"), a quarter cup of "patina," maybe even a self-inflicted defect like a good edge knock or a hole from "prior suspension" for distraction, and a healthy dollop of fraud thrown in, it would be a really good fake which might be able to deceive a whole lot of people.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  21. Paddy54

Ah Douglas I would do a tad bit more research before advising as such! And counterfeit coin is illegal to import end of story according to the U.S. Customs service, with a penalty of both fines and jail time not exceeding 20 years!

Oldrdawg likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted