1794 Large Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marshall, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I thought I'd continue the Large Cent series by posting this coin I just put on layaway.

Take your shots a attribution and then give an opinion of value.

1794 S-45 Obv-vert.jpg

Michael K likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

id say it is worth about 50-200 dollars.

4. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Upon comparing with examples on this website: http://www.1794largecents.com/1794/collection.htm
    it appears that it might be S-45 (based on the shape of the ribbon loops, the blob of metal inside the left ribbon loop, and the orientation of the three berries relative to each other nearest the "R" in "America"), which the website says is an R.5+ variety. I'm guessing that would make the coin worth several hundred dollars in this condition?

Marshall likes this.
  5. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I think you are correct, NSP.
    A cursory look points toward S-45, R-5+. Breen says 'lump in left bow'. There does appear to be something like it there. A very scarce coin. It shares the same reverse with NC-5.

Marshall likes this.
  6. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Not sure myself and don't want to dig the books out, but I always like reading your posts and what you find.

Marshall likes this.
  7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

That's what I came up with. I would have grossly overpaid if it turned out to not be that. The value is subjective of course and PMD at the date and key attribution point ("berry" in the left loop) reduces value. But I think I'll be happy with it. This Reverse has no common counterpart pairing with the only other pairing being the NC-5 with two known (last I heard anyway).

Heritage Archive show two without images selling for $460 in the 90s with the rest higher and usually better.

In an amusing aside, I once again am encountering rarity in pairs. I have the high bid (which I fully anticipate losing) in a Heritage auction on another S-45 at this time.

My budget rarely lets me win a Heritage Auction, though that's how I won my 1797 NC-5 with 2 holes.

8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

1794 T EAC 64 or 65 CC1-horz.jpg

I actually used alternative diagnostics than the "berry" in the loop because I felt it could be PMD. But the location of berries to leaves, leaves to letters, letters to dentils and the tail tell evidence of the crack through O(NE) gives me confidence in the attribution.

Thank you for the independent look and attributions. The power of suggestion often interferes with objectivity.

PS The one on the left sold for $100,000, The one on the right was purchased for $300.

Michael K, Eduard and NSP like this.
  9. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I think for the price you paid you will be very happy with it.
    There is something special about a scarce or rare early cent die pairing.

Marshall likes this.
  10. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

While it's been awhile, I finally received the S-45 after a three month layaway. It looks much sharper in the copper than in the photos. While there is definite environmental damage, it isn't as severe as the photos.

But now I have a new question which really intrigues me. The leaf following DOLLAR is appears to be pointing downward like the edge of 93. Was that edge reintroduced after the S-20 and just not mentioned? I wish it weren't entombed by PCGS, but at least most of the edge can be seen, The leaf is just visible. It makes a photo quite difficult, but I might try anyway.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  11. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

This is my attempt to cature the edge of the S-45.

IMG_1902.JPG IMG_1903.JPG IMG_1904.JPG

The better images are more in line with an edge of 94 while the fuzzy one approximates my tired old eyes and looks more like the edge of 93.

The photos came out better than I hoped.

12. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Edge of 93 and then Edge of 94 for comparison:

Edge of 93
    1794 1               a Edge of 93.jpg 1794 2                b  Edge of 94.jpg
    Edge of 94

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted