1794 Large Cent

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by MMiller750, Jul 23, 2016.

1. MMiller750

MMiller750 Active Member

Hello everyone,

I recently picked up a 1794 large cent from a family member that I am selling for them. I don't know much about large cents as I am a commemorative guy, much less value and grading. I wanted to send in to get slabbed as I think it should be, but I don't want to wait that long and go through that hassle. I attached three photos, the first two are to show the details of the coins, and the third one shows the color a lot better than the other two, yet not necessarily the details part. Any idea on grading and value? I am looking on Ebay and seeing quite a variation.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm afraid you'll need to take better photos that are straight on for us to give you sound advice. Also, please crop the photos so they blow up larger.

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I feel this is a coin that you need to know more about before trying to sell it. @Conder101 is the guy that can help.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

6. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

Here is your variety information: 1794 S-28 R.2
    Looks like a nice enough obverse, but the reverse is a bit rough with uneven color. Still, it should still do well if you throw it on ebay raw. If you do decide to slab it, I suspect it will come back as VF details (ED). Personally, since many of us copper collectors like our coins raw, I don't think slabbing it will add much value. Just take a couple more pictures where the obverse / reverse are clear and straight, and add an edge view of the coin (these coins have lettered edges and people like to see them for authenticity purposes), and you'll be golden.
    As for the value, I'd suspect you'd see around $350-$450 on ebay, depending when you sell and the quality of your pictures. Alternatively, you could sell on this site, and save yourself some fees. It's all about what you're comfortable with.

7. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I agree with aubade21's comments and attribution. The obverse seems to have nice detail remaining while the obverse a little less so. Better pictures would allow a better assessment, specially of surface condition. Value-wise $ 450 is in my opinion possibly the bottom end of what one may expect for this coin.

8. MMiller750

MMiller750 Active Member

I have done some editing and uploaded them, hopefully they can give you a better insight. I would agree that the obverse is much better, I don't think the reverse is much weaker but I think it is the black stuff that is on it that is the problem.

Attached Files:

• 4190.jpg
      4190.jpg
      File size:
      112.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4192.jpg
      4192.jpg
      File size:
      120.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4193.jpg
      4193.jpg
      File size:
      96.3 KB
      Views:
  9. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

There is no question that somebody would like to own this coin, and the obverse gives it a bump in price. Looking it over again, I'd agree with Eduard that it will probably bring closer to 450 on ebay, despite issues found on the reverse. The people that bid on this coin will understand it will not grade, but will pay up for the clean(er) obverse.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes it won't straight grade but I think it is nice. If I had the cash sitting around I would be willing to go $450, frankly I would not be surprised at a higher price. And I agree with the attribution. Saw the rev and hoped for an S-27 but it wasn't to be.

11. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Nice enough? :arghh: Not picking on this poster BUT does anyone on this thread see the carved up date and "Liberty" on this "cull"? As for color, looks to me that both sides are uneven w/black crud.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You are looking at the wrong coin.

13. Insider

Thank you! I like the correct one.

14. Deano1980

Deano1980 New Member

Is this a error coin

Attached Files:

15. Kentucky

Thanks loads...that is my coin. :(

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Still a cool coin. Just think of all this coin has gone thru over the past 200+ years.

Kentucky likes this.
  17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yeah, I suspect the reason insider spends so much time online is that his foot is permanently attached to his mouth. :muted:

Couth insider, couth ;)

Kentucky likes this.
  18. Insider

Actually, I'm a part-time teacher. Just as Ms. Gruno, I like to spend part the time here helping the "blind" :watching:.

PS Couth Dickins was a good Ol'boy from Crozet, VA.

Kentucky likes this.
  19. Kentucky

Thanks loads for the "help". :):):) poke.png

20. Insider

As old Couth used to say, "Don't thank me, thank yourself." Couth taught me everything I know about restoring "dug" metal items.

Draft saved Draft deleted