1793 Large Cent Chain - Sheldon type

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Restruck, May 13, 2017.

?

What Sheldon Type is this ?

1. S1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. S2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. S3

100.0%
  4. S4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Restruck

Restruck New Member

Hello Coin folks,

I am new to this page, and have already absorbed some good info on a few other threads. Looks like I am in the right place. So my thread will be about the different Sheldon types of the first US Mint coin. Now I am no expert just a person that wants desperately to learn like all people. I have a 1793 Chain that's G4 and was wondering if someone might be able to tell me the Sheldon type. I do not believe it is S1 I think I have an S3 possibly ? It's so hard to know for certain, because I am no expert. So here is the coin and maybe I can get an expert opinion. Any info would help I am tired of reading in books and or trying to google the explanation. Thanks all

Attached Files:

aubade21 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

It's a little difficult to tell because the glare on the coin obscures the details, but from what I can tell, it's an S-3. The position of the date is about all you need to make this determination.

It's a very nice coin, and if you're a copper enthusiast I'd recommend looking joining the EAC (eacs.org). You get access to a massive amount of information and meet some pretty shrewd collectors.

Restruck likes this.
  4. Restruck

Restruck New Member

Aubade, Thank you very much for replying and your awesome input. I shared a few more photos in different highlights for viewing. I did read up on date position and the types of hair how it changed over the course of the different strikes. That and the alignment of the links on the reverse is sorta how I can to the conclusion that it is most likely the S3 . I just want to be careful selling this item if I decide to go that route. As for the large cent I have one full complete collection and yest that includes a poor 1799 bust. Also have about a 2/3 complete second book, but this is my only chain. I had two of them at one time, but eBay the other years ago and kept this one which was nicer. I will look into this EAC site and I truly appreciate the time you took to respond back to me !

Attached Files:

aubade21 and lordmarcovan like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Not all the thumbnails are loading for me, but... wow.

Restruck likes this.
  6. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Can't beat a Chain Cent, and ain't no telling the stories that coin could tell.
    Nice piece.

Restruck likes this.
  7. Restruck

Restruck New Member

Thank you very much Chief !

8. Restruck

Restruck New Member

Wow very impressive Lord ! I love that ancient Greek coin well both actually. Posted my shilling on this thread for viewing pleasure, but obviously I can't compete with those gems WOW those are nice.

Attached Files:

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Definitely an S-3. The heads are so distinct, that you can tell these apart even in very low grades. Chain cents are very special coins. Historic, interesting and rare. What more can you ask of a coin?

Restruck likes this.
  10. Restruck

Restruck New Member

Very true. I was about 80 % sure it was a S3 It obviously never hurts to ask I just wanted to be certain from the experts. I have maybe one year of extensive research on coins in general. So I truly appreciate all the insight you all have given me. The only hang up I had is it was possible that I was thinking it was the S2 because of the backings are so similar in this strike period. You can never be too sure. Thank you Halfcent !

11. halfcent1793

The S-2, S-3 and S-4 reverses are all the same. The way to tell them apart is by the bust on the obverse. These were engraved by hand, so they are all distinctive. You're doing the right thing by doing research. If you're going to collect Chains and other early coppers, which many (like me) consider the creme de la creme of US coins, research is important.

Restruck likes this.
  12. Restruck

Restruck New Member

Knowledge is most definitely power . I appreciate what you are telling me and taking the time to respond to my thread. I think I got conflicting ideology from one fella telling me about how the chain between S2 and S4 did change slightly which I had never heard before so I was skeptical being I have never read that. I always knew that the bust and the minor change in date was the key and reverse was not a factor. Again it's always wise to be certain when you are new to this awesome hobby.

halfcent1793 likes this.
  13. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Holding a chain cent in your hand us is something special. I focus primarily on ancients (which are of course much older), but holding one of these coins which are early witnesses to the very early years of the United States is still something special to me.

Your example is a nice one, Restruck. Congratulations!

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    halfcent1793 and Restruck like this.
  14. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

awesome coin!

Restruck likes this.
  15. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Here is my example, which is the same variety as yours, S-3
    Worn and corroded, but a very dear coin to me.

1793 Chain Cent-Obv - 1.jpg 1793 Chain Cent-Rev - 1.jpg

16. Restruck

Restruck New Member

Wow that is a nice one. Great shape no oxidation, nice detail.
    Wow great looking coin, good detail, no oxidation. This was a well taking care of item for being almost 225 years old. I think it's me that should be congratulating you what a gem Eduard !

17. Restruck

Restruck New Member

Thank you sir !

18. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Ah yes. Lizzie the First! I want something from her one day. Have only had two before; both low grade with problems. That one look pretty sharp.

Restruck likes this.
  19. halfcent1793

The only Chain I've ever owned was counterfeit. Fortunately, I was able, with some effort, to get my money back.

Restruck likes this.
  20. Restruck

Restruck New Member

It is a sharp coin in good condition, but the obvious sheen is a red flag of bad cleaning. I wish it wasn't cleaned !

21. Restruck

Restruck New Member

Glad you got money back ! Scary days of fraud going on everywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted