1792 Kentucky Cent for the colonial/early US set :D

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrweaseluv, Apr 15, 2024.

1. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Even with the buyers premium I think I stole this puppy
    92.jpg 92r.jpg

ddddd, kountryken, Coins4Eli and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Coool! Love this "token" from England. I did some research and found out there are 15 varieties of this although I believe this to be probably the most common.
    Here's what it should look like:
    (NOT my coin, otherwise I'd be rich, LOL.)
    Ky1-1792.obv.sm.jpg Ky1-1792.rev.sm.jpg

Dan Galbato likes this.
  4. mrweaseluv

This one is a plain edge there are also 7 other edge types.. PCGS list 18 varieties but only 8 edge patterns with R/RB/BN varieties bringing it to 18
    the types are

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  5. mrweaseluv

arrived with a nasty waxy coating on it.. so it got boiled :D (cropped/fixed pics)

20240418_183813.jpg 20240418_183833.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Kool piece of history dating back to the founding of our country. Scooping the BP is always satisfyingly to say the least. Kiss that grandchild for me.......:)

mrweaseluv and SensibleSal66 like this.
  7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Looks better. Maybe they used "Renaissance Wax"?? I've used it on Colonial coins myself. It's okay but you have to apply just the right amount.

mrweaseluv likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The Kentucky Token caught my eye years ago. It was one of the first Colonial coins I owned. I still have it.

mrweaseluv likes this.
  9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I had a Kentucky token in PCGS graded Mint State when I was a dealer and was barely able to sell it in the $1,000 range. It all depends on what you paid for this piece, but the line I got was, “lt’s a Condor token.”

mrweaseluv likes this.
  10. mrweaseluv

Under 200 so I was very happy :D

Dan Galbato likes this.
  11. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

I hope I'm wrong, but boy it has the look of a cast piece to me.

12. johnmilton

I am going to brutally honest about this Kentucky token. I think that it is probably genuine, but it looks like a ground salvage piece that was found with a metal detector. It is not nice in any way. It is corroded and worth a fraction of a nice example.

The 2024 Red Book says the most common VF Kentucky token is worth $175 retail. That for a VF with honest wear. This piece is corroded and not even worth half of that.

I am doing this to spare other collectors who might be drawn to something like this. I learned about buying and selling coins through the school of hard knocks, and I'm trying to spare some other people from making the same mistake.

ZoidMeister and l.cutler like this.
  13. mrweaseluv

Ok 1st off John is correct it show mild corrosions and was probably a dug piece at some point. It is not a cast piece... However on the 2nd part about "list price" let me just say I have been after this token seriously for over 2yrs now and yes plenty availble starting at a minumum of $250 and that for pieces in seriously worse condition then this one...
    BUT!! I also agree with John on the last part... if I were to attempt to resell her tomorrow, I'd be lucky to get $100 from an LCS however at auction... No I would have no problem in the present market getting my money back with a profit.. early colonials and US coins seem to be spiking at this time.... next week who knows... so I'll say once again.. buy what you like, enjoy it for what it is, don't expect to make a profit or even break even... This is COLLECTING... Not investing and ultimately no matter how carefully you shop and buy you will lose money so make sure you enjoy what you are spending it on :D

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Amen and well said.

15. johnmilton

People, who know what they are doing, are not beating down the fences to buy badly corroded copper.

Here are the photos of the piece I had 20 years ago when I was a dealer. I think that the PCGS grade was MS-64, Brown. You can see how much detail has been lot on your piece because of the corrosion.

KY All.jpg

The other problem with the Kentucky token is that a lot of advanced collectors don't think that it's a colonial coin at all. It's a Condor token which MAY have circulated in American during the "Confederation period." Collectors pushed the editors of the Red Book to include a lot more coins and not make such a big deal out of pieces like this.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  16. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

You certainly have to be prepared to make concessions when it comes to colonials. They definitely aren’t the kind of coins you insist on ms70’s! I’ve actually been doing well on Connecticut coppers lately, I’ve gotten a couple much better varieties at downright amazing prices. Some other areas are definitely tougher though. Love the colonials, I bought my first one around 50 years ago now, and I am still enthralled with them!

Dan Galbato likes this.
  17. johnmilton

Some “colonial coins” (Many of them were issued in the mid 1780s during the Confederation Congress.) are hard to find in high or even nice grades, but not all of them are. The best known hoard coin is the 1773 Virginia half penny, but there are a number of others. They are not cheep, but for a thousand to a few thousand dollars, you can get pieces in AU and even Mint State.

I will post a few of them tomorrow under a new title.

18. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Thank you for your insight. The Cohen hoard of Virginia halfpennies, and the Bank of New York keg of Fugios provided a pretty good supply of high grade examples of those issues, and many others can be found in smaller numbers. Rosa Americanas are surprisingly available in higher grades. With deep pockets, you could probably put together a type collection of high grade colonial/pre-federal pieces, but when you get into collecting by variety, many are only known in lower grade. No matter how you look at it, it is a fascinating field with many nooks and crannies to explore.

Draft saved Draft deleted