1789 George Washington 1797 1st President gold funeral coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Kelly Torrez, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Kelly Torrez

Kelly Torrez New Member

I need to find out what a rare mint condition coin that is part of American history that celebrates our 1st President is valued at. Can anyone please help me?

Attached Files:

Cheech9712 and capthank like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. smarch

smarch Active Member

Recent (last 40 years) presidential token, rough (not mint I think), worth about a quarter. Not rare, thanks for posting.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

This is not a coin. It is a medal.

Why do you think it is a funeral coin? Can you give us a photo of the other side?

This medal is hardly rare. There are a lot of private mints that produced medals of George Washington just like this. This was not produced by the US Mint, and it is hardly in mint condition (uncirculated).

Chris

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

They are pictures of the Obverse and Reverse.. It is the same image on both sides.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  6. paddyman98

If you google what's written on the medal you can get information.
    I actually found a similar one metal detecting about 4 years ago. I think there is another thread about this medal.
    This is my find.. The other side is blank
    20160822_044113.jpg

john65999 and capthank like this.
  7. paddyman98

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  8. cpm9ball

Oops! Dumb, me!

Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't know much but it has the look of being a modern issue.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  11. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

It is a modern issue and not rare or valuable. Keep looking because there are many undiscovered medals and tokens out there that are extremely rare , valuable and desirable.

12. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Yes, he died in December of 1799. Whatever else it is, it is not a funeral piece issued at the time of his death in 1799, unless the date of 1797 is there to indicate the last year of his administration (1789-1797). Possibly a Civil War Era patriotic token which would give it some value.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  13. Christopher Gokey

Christopher Gokey New Member

I got a double sided coin 1797 1789 George Washington's

Cheech9712 likes this.
  14. Christopher Gokey

Christopher Gokey New Member

The won I got has images on both side

Cheech9712 likes this.
  15. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

Has anyone handled it ??? Has it been in anyone's hands??? If it is dated 1797 1789 , do you think you are the only person to have handled it???? Therefore if it has been in other peoples hands , it has fingerprints so it cannot be called uncirculated . On top of that, if it was uncirculated. how come the high points have been worn away as well as around the rim at the bottom...On top of that, where is the luster??? AGAIN - Here was your question !!! I need to find out what a rare mint condition coin that is part of American history that celebrates our 1st President is valued at. Can anyone please help me?

PLEASE BUY THE USA RED BOOK AND STUDY UP ON THE GRADINGS BEFORE YOU CALL A NUMISMATIC ITEM ANY CERTAIN GRADE.
    THIS GOES FOR BANKNOTES AS WELL....

I am sure i speak for the other advanced collectors in here as well.

Please take note that a coin has to have some monetry value on it and can be used for trading.
    EG 1c = Penny .... 5c = Nickel ... 10c = Dime ..... and so on and so on.

You certainly do not have a coin. It is either a token or medallion.

Lastly if you want to know what anything is worth, it is simply worth what another person ( being a collector or dealer ) is willing to pay for it....No more and no less.

Have a lovely day

Attached Files:

FrugalCO likes this.
  16. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

paddyman98... It is the one ( NOT WON ) i got has images on both sides...

17. Frankie27

Frankie27 New Member

I seen you know what ur talking bout I have the double sided George Washington coin 1780 with hole in it and 1943 steel wheat penny no mint was wondering the value edited

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2020
  18. paddyman98

No mint mark means it was minted at the Philadelphia Mint. Value depends on the condition it is in. Millions were minted in 1943. A few cents to $1 or $2 Bucks.

19. Frankie27

Frankie27 New Member

Attached Files:

20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

@Frankie27 you posted to a dead post almost 4 years old. If you post your own, with photos, then you may get responses.

21. Frankie27

Frankie27 New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted