1789 1st president U.S.A 1797 George Washington coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by helldisc88, Jul 15, 2008.

1. White88

White88 New Member

I got one with out a hole

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. White88

White88 New Member

4. White88

White88 New Member

5. Trocity

Trocity New Member

Ok, I have one but is way smaller and has only 1 side. The back side is only a negative of the front in reverse. Any Information? All I can find here are double sided.

6. Trocity

Trocity New Member

Ok, I have one but is way smaller and has only 1 side. The back side is only a negative of the front in reverse. Any Information? All I can find here are double sided.

7. Trocity

Trocity New Member

8. Trocity

Trocity New Member

9. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Lol. Believe it or not I have one too I found roll hunting last year. I absolutely will post pictures later on to fan the flames here.

I pitched it in my junk tin of bingo markers, plastic pennies, junction box knock outs, counterstamped moderns, and defaced but pretty works of art released back to circulation by people with too much free time. I'm certain it's junk, why? Because it looks and feels like junk. Maybe it's pewter or lead, or some mix of garbage metals. Who knows. I will post pictures of my find later today just to keep yall in anticipation for a bit, plus I have to work and just can't do it now.

Lol. It is what it is.

10. John Burgess

Ok I snapped a couple pics on the way out the door, and now that I'm at work with PLENTY of time to kill... LOL

Here is front and back in all it's glory. If I had to guess, I'd say it's pewter, it's not heavy like it would be if it were lead. Maybe "die cast metal" and a conglomeration of junk metal? LOL White metal? maybe it was brass plated at some point, but maybe not. Everything I see on Ebay is some form of brass type thing.
    IMG_2020-05-20_08-07-39_1589980330415.jpg IMG_2020-05-20_08-07-29_1589980330808.jpg

Now as you can see, mine has authentic wear, the hole is stretched from hanging around someones neck for 221 years, (Maybe it was Yoda as a teen!) Yes sir, this does not look at all like those fancy ones with sharp rims on Ebay for $2-$12 dollars, this might even be the pattern piece that those were made from! George Washington might have even worn it while he was president!

Check it out, you see that there, that original mint luster right there. Shoot I bet you ain't seen nothing like that since, hell, back in the day, right up there with genuine naugahyde. Yes sir, she's a beaut! She doesn't feel like coin metal, no sir, it feels like a well worn down jacket zipper pull tab where it's lost it's paint.

On a serious note. I do however wish I knew who made them and when they were made and how many different compositions there are.

11. Trocity

Trocity New Member

Notice the back is a reverse negative

Attached Files:

12. Trocity

Trocity New Member

Lol how long I could keep you on

13. Trocity

Trocity New Member

You didn't show me the back. Or, is that the back as well?

14. John Burgess

Its front and back. Different whole "E"'s are showing to the left and right of the hole in each picture.

Yours might be even rarer than mine, maybe worth $2.50-$12.50!

15. Trocity

Trocity New Member

I thought you might have one too tehe

16. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

John, I couldn't find out much about your George Washington piece. It is listed on the tokencatalog.com website with id TC-425040, with no other listings. They refer to it as a keytag, which might help to explain the elongated hole if it had been swinging on someone's car key ring for years. Many of these were brass plated, others painted gold/yellow, some were made from iron or steel. Is yours attracted to a magnet?

John Burgess likes this.
  17. John Burgess

Thank you. You got further than I did on it! I'll check that website and check if it's magnetic. Thanks again.

18. John Burgess

OK so. It is not magnetic at all... I'm still thinking it's a pewter or lead or something like that. Maybe a metal alloy for die casting of non ferrous scrap metals.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  19. NickASU

NickASU New Member

This is worth $10 it’s an easy search on eBay it’s not worth anything if you have a pewter coin you would know very easily because it is one of the softest medals ever. So it would not be all hard and thick and completely almost whole if it was an original Washington who died 250 years ago you morons.

20. NickASU

NickASU New Member

This is worth $10 it’s an easy search on eBay it’s not worth anything if you have a pewter coin you would know very easily because it is one of the softest medals ever. So it would not be all hard and thick and completely almost whole if it was an original Washington who died 250 years ago you morons.

21. NickASU

NickASU New Member

This is worth $10 it’s an easy search on eBay it’s not worth anything if you have a pewter coin you would know very easily because it is one of the softest medals ever. So it would not be all hard and thick and completely almost hole if it was an original Washington who died 250 years ago you morons.

Draft saved Draft deleted