1789 1st president U.S.A 1797 George Washington coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by helldisc88, Jul 15, 2008.

1. floydandfriends

floydandfriends New Member

This coin is actually called the George Washington funeral coin. There are several varieties and all are holed as they were made that way to hang as a necklace. Yes there was one sold on Pawn stars show for $2500.00, but was sold by the shop for a lot more. The highest price paid for one was in 2007 and hammered for $236,000.00. I have several varieties and took them to the F.U.N. Show and most dealers don't call them funeral coins but rather commerative coins and vary from $5,000 and up. Its best to auction them as they were made in the late 1700's.

bruthajoe and WhatsThis like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. floydandfriends

With low mintage. Most rare gold coins and silver coins are considered investment coins. The 1933 double eagle was recently sold for 9 million. Its known of 12 more that were confiscated but even if a 1,000 of them showed up there values are still over a million. Superior which is now out of businesss mostly due to poor selling and not putting the word out had a 1913 V proof that never met reserve which was 3.7 million. This year it was sold privately for 5.6 million.

4. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

BullPokey - the one posted and most of them you see are CHEAP FAKES - like Paul said MONTHS ago. It is time to lock this thread up...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The actual 1799 Washington Funeral Urn Medal is rare and valuable. Here is a link to the offerings by Heritage in 2008.

1799 Washington Funeral Urn Medals from Heritage 2008

The OP's piece is not an authentic Funeral Urn Medal. To be honest, it looks like a very cheap knock off.

5. floydandfriends

There are several varieties of the funeral coin and even Fred Weinburg said many call them commerative coins, but they are real and all have holes in them. Many think their fakes as they look weird but they are real. It depends on the variety , shape its in and if its been tried to look better. They are all made of metal and many rust, so some spray paint it to look better. Of course you never touch any coin or you lose it. Heritage sold it in late 2007 for $236,000.00 for the specimen they had, but these coins are like any other coins. The least made of all varieties will command the highest price.

Anita Hurt likes this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Yup on the lock 'er up. I'm pulling my subscription to this thread.....

7. connie smith

connie smith New Member

I also have one but it does not have the year 1797 after george washingtons name on the right of coin. Mine has a hole at the top and looks like copper and is heavy.

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I realize this is a very old thread, but I really want to respond to this..........

Peter, who said they could read. I think that's why they invented YouTube.

Chris

9. lillyrob99

lillyrob99 New Member

i have that exact coin with the hole and everything

10. morganover12

morganover12 New Member

Hate to bring up a thread that's been down for a week, but these people keep coming and it's annoying. Here is everything you need to know =

No, the coin all of you keep posting is worth nothing. I have 100's of them. They were all cheaply made tokens, as someone else has already said on this forum. They had them in bracelets, belts, etc. Here is what they sell for -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1789-1797-G..._Individual&hash=item3a6a472985#ht_500wt_1085

http://www.ebay.com/itm/George-Wash...ultDomain_0&hash=item3f0dbe1614#ht_500wt_1085

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEORGE-WASH..._Individual&hash=item1c1eabdd67#ht_500wt_1085

Yes, $2.50, $2.25

The thing on Pawn Stars is the funeral token, and it looks NOTHING LIKE what you all are posting. The only similarities are Washington and a hole.

Please read all of the other posts and do a bit of research before posting.

11. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I think EVERYONE has one of these.

I have one. The minute I found it, I knew it was no big deal.

I see a new one pop up here on CT every week by someone that thinks they'll be able to pay off their house and car with it.

12. tmurphathome

tmurphathome New Member

13. queenjank

queenjank New Member

i have a two headed george washington gold or copper coin is it worth anything

14. sanjose408

sanjose408 New Member

I found a 2 headed coin (gold) dated 1789 1st president USA 1797

15. moneypit7858

moneypit7858 New Member

When Washinton died, the produced what is called a Funeral token which all had holes in them to wear around their necks. The first of only 500 made were Masonic tokens as Washington was a Masonic himself. Those are the rarest and on Pawn stars they mentioned one sold for 200 grand. The one the guy sold for 2500.00 was worth well over 5 grand. Their were many types made for the people but they are all rare and worth a lot. It wasn't until the Pawn stars show that anyone knew about them, even Rick himself. I have several types including the Masonic one of which only 500 were made.

16. moneypit7858

moneypit7858 New Member

When Washinton died, the produced what is called a Funeral token which all had holes in them to wear around their necks. The first of only 500 made were Masonic tokens as Washington was a Masonic himself. Those are the rarest and on Pawn stars they mentioned one sold for 200 grand. The one the guy sold for 2500.00 was worth well over 5 grand. Their were many types made for the people but they are all rare and worth a lot. It wasn't until the Pawn stars show that anyone knew about them, even Rick himself. I have several types including the Masonic one of which only 500 were made.

17. yolanda Alvarado

yolanda Alvarado New Member

I have one but it doesn't have a hole in it,is it worth anything

18. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

Hello Yolanda, welcome to CoinTalk! There are many variations of these tokens, some worth quite a bit, while others are virtually worthless. Nice, clear photos are necessary to determine exactly which variety you may have, as well as to evaluate its condition. Without photos (of both sides), we really can't tell you anything.

19. Sheila Garringer

Sheila Garringer New Member

20. david burdick

david burdick New Member

21. david burdick

david burdick New Member

i have a similar coin celebrating his inauguration to the pres of united states april 30 1789 it has the hole in it too i can not find any info on it

Draft saved Draft deleted