1788 Massachusetts one cent - counterfeit?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by borgovan, Dec 1, 2009.

1. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

I focus on U.S. mint issues 1793 to present, so colonial and post-colonial copper are not my forte.

A colleague brought me a 1788 Massachusetts one cent coin......or did she?

I can't post pics because I'm at work now, and I don't know if she will allow me to take the coin home to photograph.

One of the first things I noticed was a very tiny "R" counterstamp on the date side of the coin. I googled it and found a couple of other people asking questions about this counterstamp. This makes me suspicious that it's a counterfeit (possibly a "R"eplica???)

Has anyone else seen this coin with this counterstamp?

I am suspicious that this coin is a counterfeit for other reasons, but for now, I'd just like to know about the counterstamp.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

I'm no authority on colonials, but I would think any coin can have any counterstamp anywhere on it.

What are the other concerns you mentioned ? Convince her to let you take a few pics. Eager to hear how this one turns out !

4. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

The rims look funny; looks like they've been shaved down or something.

My biggest concern is the edge. It almost looks like a base metal has been coated in copper, and the copper is starting to flake off. I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like.

Also, the devices look a bit dulled, and I am unable to match this to any of the known die varieties that I can find (although, admittedly, I don't have access to all of them here at work.)

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If it has a tiny R counterstamp then it is almost certainly a replica. Before the hobby protection act some companies used the R instead of COPY an the R is also the standard way that British companies mark replicas.

Insider likes this.
  6. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Conder is right, I have seen quite a few of these replica Massachusetts coins with the "R". The genuine coins do not have it.

7. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

Now with pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For now, I'm sticking with the replica theory. Can anyone point me to documentation about this counterstamp being on replica coins? I'd like to provide something in writing to my colleague.

Thanks.

8. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

I don't know of any documentation, but no question that is a copy. As you state it is base metal with a copper coating which is flaking off. The genuine coins are struck in copper.

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yup, fake.

Why?

Well, that is hard to say.
    The planchet and strike look just 'too good'.

Also, the surface looks 'too nice.'

10. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I agree with Treashunts 'scientific' (smiley) analysis and conclusion on why he thinks this coin is fake.

Here is an authentic ( at least I hope so) Massachusetts cent, in approximately the same state of preservation as the O.P coin. Note the difference in the sharpenss of detail and strike. The O.P coins appears to have a mushy strike, typical of coins which have been cast rather than struck. The planchet does not appear to be of regular thickness throughout, and it is probably underweight as well. Some differences are subtle, and difficult to describe in words, but become obvious when comparing to a genuine specimen.

Attached Files:

Moekeever likes this.
  11. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

Thank you all very much for your help. Greatly appreciated, as always.

12. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

cast copy. Check the rim for the ring. The details are all off, the flaking is the real giveaway though.

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Eduard:
    Sorry, but you can see wht it was hard to describe.

Also, I just noticed the tiny R on the reverse.

Well I believe that it is short for: Really Reasonable Replica.

;)

14. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

Hello everyone,

I have been doing some research and a link brought me right back to CT! Imagine that, lol.

Anyway Nice thread something i did not know about. I actually (so sad i know) had to go check both my 1787 and 1788 pieces "just to make sure":eek:

Thankfully no "R" on them. I am pretty sure there authentic, but never did have them slabbed, so, one never can be to sure. I have done some research on them, (wt, size, etc) and everything checks out.

Well, again, nice thread.

Regards,
    Stan

15. chridular

chridular Member

Haha.. Not to open an old thread, but same here. I was researching a "coin" I was given in a bag of miscellaneous world coins and found one that was an obvious fake. After looking closely, I saw that the tiny chunk taken from the back was a tine R. I thought that may be a marking that it is a fake but I had never heard of it. Anyway, I ended up here. I thought I'd post because if you are new to coins, the info. in this thread is good to have!

16. Blue121

Blue121 Member

Does the R on the back of the 1788 cent stand for Ryder. if you can find anything more post it. TD Ohio

17. Blue121

Blue121 Member

I have a 1788 R cent colonial. Looks copper.

18. Blue121

Blue121 Member

Yea...i read online that the R on back of the 1788 cent stands for Ryder. a special collection.

19. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

The R most likely stands for replica, as no genuine coins have it. Ryder was the man who classified the different die varieties of Massachusetts coppers with a number designating the obverse die and a letter the reverse die, so they are known as Ryder 1-B, Ryder 3-C etc. If the coin has the R stamp, it is a replica.

20. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

@Colonialjohn might know what the R is all about. The 7yr old OP coin looks like a possible electrotype

21. Blue121

Blue121 Member

What is the replica 1788 cent value.

Draft saved Draft deleted