1787 Massachusetts cent real or a good fake?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AirborneReams, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That's because they are from different die varieties. The dies were individually made by hand so every die was different. So you can't compare different dies and use that as evidence of one being a fake.

As mentioned earlier the OP coin is a 4-C and this variety HAS been counterfeited recently well enough to get into TPG slabs (Jack Young's article on them https://coinweek.com/counterfeits/c...usetts-4c-half-cent-1-page-attribution-guide/ ) but this is NOT one of those counterfeits. While the coin is a little odd, I don't see enough for me to condemn it as a fake.

ksparrow likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

@Conder101, thanks for posting that link. I try to follow Jack Young's trips to the "Dark Side" but I don't seem to catch them all.

4. AirborneReams

AirborneReams Supporter! Supporter

Hello all,

I don’t know if anyone cares or will see this late message but I sent this coin back to the gentlemen that owns a coin shop and he took detailed pictures of the coin and sent it to Richard August whom is known in the community and he gave it a green light. I have no reason not to believe this gentlemen either. He also said if I decide to get it graded and it does come back counterfeit he will pay for the grading, refund the item, and pay for shipping but he is confident in Mr. August analysis.

5. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I care and would very much like to hear what the TPG has to say about it.

Did Mr. August provide any details regarding his opinion?

6. AirborneReams

I asked the gentlemen the same question with a more elaborate response on what he said but has not gotten back to me yet, assuming because it is the weekend. I will give you another update as I learn more!

7. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I know Richard and he is very knowledgeable about colonials and an opinion I’d trust so A very good sign

8. AirborneReams

That’s a good sign! I wonder if you know the guy selling it to me as well lol. I’m interested in buying it back just want to see what else he says and for him to reply as well.

9. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I might. I know a lot of coin dealers. Especially in New England

AirborneReams likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted