1787 Gold 8 Escudos!!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by johnny54321, Jul 26, 2010.

1. johnny54321

johnny54321 aspiring numismatist

I've always wanted a big escudo coin to remind me of pirate treasure!!!:smile Finally got one! Grade/value opinions?? Also, does anyone know the mintage of this coin?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

XF Details harshly cleaned.

Sure is purdy though.

4. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Nice hunk o' gold!

5. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

According to "Gold coins of the world", 8th edition - VF 1200, EF 1800. Not sure how accurate or updated it is, but probably gives an idea of coin value.

6. johnny54321

thanks taxidermist, and thanks all for your comments. Do they have a mintage number?

7. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

It looks like its in a slab ... is it graded?
    If so can you share the grade?

8. johnny54321

Yes, I just wanted some unbiased opinions. ANACS said XF-40 details "scratched" net VF-30. The scratch referred to is the small one by the nose, not too distracting really. I paid $1,210 for her.

The hairlines actually look more like circulation lines since they are scattered, but it may very well have been cleaned at some point.

I also wanted to see if anyone would question authenticity. Even in an ANACS slab, I like folks to take an extra look being that I spent 4 figures. I don't care as much about the grade or the problem status here since I really just wanted a genuine hunk of pirate treasure...:)

Draft saved Draft deleted