1783 Nova Constellatio

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by 360cj7, Dec 28, 2003.

1. 360cj7

360cj7 New Member

I Have This Coin And I Am Not A Collector And No Nothing About Coins But Would Like To Know If It Is An Original Or A Copy And Whether It Is Worth Anything?

It Is Dated 1783 Say's Nova Constellatio * Around The Edge And Has A Eye In The Center Of 13 Star's Surrounding It With Ray's On The Other Side It Say's Libertas Justitia 1783 With A Wreath Surrounding U.s With 1000 Under The U.s

Thanks In Advance For Any Input On This Coin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

360cj7 -

The Nova Constellatio and information about it can be found here -
    Nova Constellatio

There are several varieties for this coin but I know of none which match the description you provided with a 1000 under US. It is possible however that the 1000 was added to the coin by a previous owner. But I think it likely that the coin is a copy of some sort.

4. National dealer

National dealer New Member

I have seen this coin. It is listed in the Red Book on page 35. There are many fakes and electrotypes of this particular issue. The original was minted in silver. All of the Nova Constellatio coins are patterns and are very valueable.

5. 360cj7

360cj7 New Member

This coin is more than likely a copy but would like to confirm that before
    I give up on it. Our Public Library didn't have The Red Book but they did have 2001 North American Coins and Prices and it looks just like the "MARK 1000". How can I confirm whether or not this is a copy or not? I don't have a lot of resource's other than the library and the internet to find out about this coin. Any more input is greatly appreciated.

6. GDJMSP

National Dealer is correct of course - there is such a pattern Nova C. You got me on that one N.D. - never thought to look at the patterns ;)

He is also correct about there being many copies - so about your only chance of finding out if it is real or not 360cj7 is to have an expert examine the coin. If you know a very knowledgeable dealer and you trust him - you could try that. But if it were me I would submit the coin to NGC and see what they say. Sure it will cost you a few bucks - but if it turns out to be genuine - well - let's just say they sell for well in excess of $100,000.00

That's why I'd be very careful with a dealer unless you him well and trust him implicitly.

7. National dealer

Since there was no mention of metal content, it is a little hard to verify. Silver would be the correct metal for the pattern. If this particular coin is indeed a copy, it will still have a value. Look for casting marks on the coins edge. These are the least valueable of all the copies. It is still a very interesting piece, as it is seldom encountered. I have seen good copies sell for as much as $100 at some of the major shows. As far as the Red Book goes, look at your local book store. Everyone should own a copy of this book.

8. 360cj7

360cj7 New Member

This coin does have a mark around the edge, but I am not sure of the metal content it does have a silver color on the edge where it has been lightly scratched though.

Would this coin have been cast when it was made?

9. laz

laz New Member

Early U.S.Coinage was struck,not cast.Theirfor I would say your coin is a contemporary copy. These coins are sold in quantity as novelty coins like the Continental Dollar,Fugio Cent's and other early U.S. history pieces. If it's a copy,it's value would be minimal. ~ Jim

10. National dealer

While Laz is quite correct, the piece is still a very good conversation piece.

11. 360cj7

360cj7 New Member

If The Coin Is A Copy Who Ever Made It Did A Very Good Job Of Making It Look Old,,,, I Would Still Like To Have A Definite Way Of Knowing That It Is Or Isn't A Copy,,,,,does Anyone Know How Much Ngc Charges For There Services? And How Do You Know For Sure When You Send Them Something That You Are Getting The Same Thing Back? Proof!!!

12. GDJMSP

There are several ways you can submit the coin to NGC. You can have a coin dealer submit it for you - cost should be about $30. If you are a member of the ANA - you can submit the coin yourself - same cost. if you prefer to go it alone you can join NGC's Collector's Society for $99 and then submit the coin. With the membership you get 4 free submissions.

NGC

As for getting back what you send them - I wouldn't worry too much about that. They are a respectable company and they would not be in business for very long if they did such things.

13. National dealer

One last option is attending a major coin show in your area. Most of the major coin grading firms set up tables and have same day grading. Others often have 2 hour times. GDJMSP is quite correct about their honesty. We routinely submit rare coins for grading. Never an issue! You don't stay in business 17 years otherwise. Good luck on the coin. One last question. Is it possible for you to weigh the coin? Grams would be best.

14. Maybeme

Maybeme New Member

Mine weighs 6.9 grams

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

You do realize that this thread is almost 14 years old, don't you?

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted