1783 coin? what is it? help please

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by brewerbonsai, Mar 16, 2011.

1. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

He was referring to the coin posted by the original poster in the first post of the thread I believe.

Great coin Ripley, I like it alot, and want to buy some gold coins of the period eventually, when I can afford to divert some funds for it.... how large is that one of yours that you post?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. irina59

irina59 New Member

you mean Bolivia ( has Potosi mark )
    well, I'm lost in this mess.:devil:

4. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Yes it looks like a Potosi to me indeed.... I think he was just saying that it was a coin of the Spanish Empire when he said it was a 'Spanish 2 reales' and not going into specific New World mints or anything more specific than that. Also, Irina, I think he mentioned Gibraltar only because (and I think you know this bit of info already ;) ) the Pillars of Hercules are sometimes used to symbolize the passing through the straits of Gibraltar to the open ocean.
    Sorry for the confusion, I hope you are no longer 'lost' :)

Many of us at Cointalk have different native languages and different places where we grew up, so that can make things a little confusing at times here, but in the end, things are usually sorted out and understood by all. None of my relatives are or were Hispanic, but I personally grew up speaking Spanish and English, but the South American and Mexican Spanish dialects, as opposed to Castilian Spanish, spoken today in large portions of Spain.

5. irina59

irina59 New Member

Thank you,rexesq
    point- if I got confused and everything else( for me it still mess), what i can say about collectors, who just started? just forget this.

6. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Good morning Rex & Irina. Rex the 2 Escudo is around a quarter ounce, while the 1 escudo is around 1/2 of the doublon. (PS...kidzzzz I am a old hag (chick)) LOL I mostly collect Mexican silver and got into the Spanish empire from that interest.

Attached Files:

7. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Republica Mexicana

Ah, that is a very nice Republic 8 Reales, looks like from the Guanjuato mint. I have alot of smaller denominaton Republica Mexicana coins, I collected them for a while, and still much like them, beautiful coins.
    Here are some of my favorites of my collection from the Republica Mexicana.... I also have quite a few of the early Estados Unidos Mexicanos.

First is an 1862 2 reales from the Zacatecas Mint.
    the third and fouth photo are of my 1885 Zacatecas 25 centavos.
    And last is an 1887 Guanjuato Mint 5 centavos, I have quite a few of the smaller silver ones, 5 and 10 centavos coins.

Attached Files:

8. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

I made an Ebay purchase last night a 1808 1 Realie (Mexico City). I will post a photo when it comes in.Rex, I like your 2 realies, the smaller ones are difficult to get in any kind of decent condition.

9. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Thank you Ripley. 1801 1 real, cool, I look forward to seeing the photos

Draft saved Draft deleted