1783 8 Reales Coin - Fake?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by scotts1, Mar 29, 2020.

1. scotts1

scotts1 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some opinions from more experienced collectors on this 1783 8 Reales coin. My dad bought it many years ago as a novelty because the seller said it was a fake. He doesn't remember what (if anything) the seller said was the giveaway. After looking at it for the first time in years, I'm wondering if it could possibly be real. I doubt it, given the what the seller said - but you never know!

It weighs 24.3 grams, which is a little off but I read that shipwreck coins are sometimes underweight. The edge design has been mostly worn smooth. I tried to get decent pictures but it didn't turn out very well. The orientation of the obverse and reverse is correct.

I don't see any obvious signs of a forgery, but I don't know very much about these either. Any opinions or knowledge would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

longshot likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

On the fence on this one.... some signs look right others I question.
    But it could be from salvage if so the surfaces are and look right.

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Doesn't look right to me. That weight seems low, even for a shipwreck coin.

5. Paddy54

Spotted a casting air bubble it's fake....

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Can you get casting bubbles on the edge? Because that's immediately what I thought when I saw his picture of the edge.

7. Paddy54

Look at the mm i was but got lazy to look up the edge type its easy to find on line . Ill bet it wont match. Look at O/ M see the little bubble in the mm

8. Paddy54

My major concern is the edge as you pointed out. I see small bubble like pits in the reading. And the details on the coin does not match that of the edge.

9. scotts1

scotts1 Well-Known Member

Here are some better pictures of the mint mark and the rim. Is the bubble that you see inside the "O"?

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted