"1780" Marie Theresa Thalers

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by GeorgeM, Nov 25, 2014.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

I have several Marie Theresa Thalers and am trying to identify the mints and years of production. These are all dated 1780, but were apparently dated continuously (more than 300,000,000 so far) and can only be dated by minor variations in obverse, reverse, and rim inscriptions.

I found a great resource listing the known varieties
    http://www.theresia.name/cgi-bin/Token.cgi?Shortlist=1&Language=en

However, it assumes I know a few things that I don't. For example, many of the varieties are differentiated by the number of beads in the tiara on the obverse (which I think I can ID) & by the number of beads on the crown in the reverse between the big beads (which I have absolutely no idea about - there are 3 different crowns, and I don't know which to count). I picked out one to use as an example - can you help me identify the bead counts on this coin?

Attached Files:

chrsmat71 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GeorgeM

I also noticed that there are differences in the rim inscriptions. Primarily, about half are right-side up when the face of the coin is facing up, and half face down. Is that a useful identifier? There are also notable spacing differences, centering differences, and slight variations in the denticles.

Attached Files:

4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Appears to be the most recent type from Vienna, apparently still being made today. Edge inscription orientation up/down facing is not an identifier.

5. GeorgeM

Thanks. I just noticed a typo in my OP. Instead of "these were dated continuously" I meant to type "these were minted continuously" all with the same 1780 date.

6. GeorgeM

Maybe I should have posted this in the World Coins forum. Is there a way to move it, rather than starting a duplicate thread?

7. Numismat

Ask one of the mods, they can certainly move it.

8. GeorgeM

Any mods handy who feel like doing the honors?

9. GeorgeM

Thanks for moving this over!

10. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

1780o.jpg 1780r.jpg

I recently have taken an interest in these coins and also in trying to figure out when and where they were minted. I found this one on eBay not too long ago. Not in great shape, but based on the clasp on the obverse (being circular vs. oval), the style of the S.F. initials, the style of the date and the style of the "X" after the date, I think it was minted in Italy, probably Venice, between 1815-1830. Not 100% on that, but I'm still learning.

They are fun coins and I even bought some brand new 1780s from the Austrian Mint exhibit at the Chicago ANA show... got a proof and an uncirculated :)

chrsmat71 likes this.
  11. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

12. Numismat

Those darn Hafner attributions often cause more confusion than clarity.

13. GeorgeM

Yeah, that's where I'm lost. Can I get some help attributing the one that I posted so I can see what to look for?

14. GeorgeM

Bueller? Bueller?

15. Numismat

It's hard to see all that needs to be seen from the pictures you posted. It looks to me like one of the most modern types, but they are classified due to other details like diameter and the appearance of the edge inscriptions.
    I would have to say Hafner 62. Please note that even individual types cataloged under a single number often have multiple variations to them.

16. GeorgeM

Thanks, but I'm trying to learn HOW you attribute, rather than just have someone attribute this one for me. What did you use to reach that determination?

17. Numismat

I'm probably not qualified to give you a detailed answer on how to attribute varieties of this. I'm still learning, it's a very tricky thing.
    The coin you posted just has the look of being very modern. There are differences among pretty much all the catalogued pieces made withing the past 160 or so years

18. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Well-Known Member

Here's one I just got. VERY modern I think, but I'd love to know for sure if anyone can put a period on it from the details.

1780_austria_thaler_obv_small.jpg 1780_austria_thaler_rev_small.jpg 1780_austria_thaler_edge_small.jpg

Rob

Draft saved Draft deleted