1780 Colonial Currency - Genuine?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Rhino89, May 28, 2019.

1. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

Came across this neat Colonial note and wanted to share it with you all to learn more about these and confirm authenticity (if possible from photos). I know there are a lot of reproduction colonial US notes out there, but it felt and looked right as far as texture of paper of this age and some of what I presume to be oxidized writing. Has some firmness to it, but not crisp. Genuine? Thoughts on value? Thanks in advance for any opinions.

IMG_2850.jpg
    IMG_2851.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The note seems to have been canceled, and the signature in the brown ink that was black,at one time, and turned redish brown color from the iron in the ink seems enough evidence to me to say yes from what's given looks to be legitimate. Nice piece.

NOS likes this.
  4. Dave L

Dave L Junior Member

Yep, looks real to me as well. Hole and slash cancels were/are commonly done at that time. Other than the cancel, its in great shape with nice signatures, which can sometimes be severely faded.

NOS likes this.
  5. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

It's real, looks like that fold contains a bit of a split, so maybe $50-$60. Good quality inking still, good example to me. Colonials like this often price all over the place, you sell it you could get $35, you could get $80, depends on whose eye it catches.

6. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

Thank you all for the input! Any idea of who the two signatures on the front belong to? I tried googling, looked at slabbed versions of these notes, even found an online reference of colonial notes, but no mention of signatures as far as I can find.

7. Dave L

Dave L Junior Member

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A very nice example.

Draft saved Draft deleted