1777 Colonial and Confederate Currency

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by planman2014, Jul 3, 2016.

1. planman2014

planman2014 Active Member

Thoughts on condition and value?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

$ignofthedollar likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

I don't know much about printed bills, but the $500 looks to me to be a reprint. So does the $2. The others are 50/50 to me. Again, I don't know a whole lot about printed bills.

4. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Hmm, I do like your $500 & $2. If your considering selling. Here's 1 of mine 2016-06-26 10.41.02.jpg
    Would like a better picture of them though

5. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Looking at your better the 500 is likely a reprint. Your 10 looks ok, the 2 maybe. Post pics of them separately. I don't know about the other notes. I just like Civil War stuff

6. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Can you post a pick of that $10 reverse? I have a spot for that. The front looks legit but would like to see the back to be sure.
    I'm pretty positive the $500 is a reprint & 50/50 on the $2

7. swish513

So what you're saying is...???

8. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Lol, what I'm saying is . I didn't look close enough the first time. But I do like the $10 note think it's legit.

9. swish513

I said the $10 was 50/50. The $500 is a reprint, and the $2, given the current picture, is very questionable. But I know very little of paper. Here's what I do know... when the signature ink matches the other inks, it's most likely a reprint. The $500 ink matches all the way around. The $2 matches, but there is the shadow factor, but I'm willing to bet it's not real. However, I could be wrong, given that better pics are needed. The other bills, I can't say, seeing as how I'm not an expert, so nothing jumps out at me as not real. Others, with more knowledge, will jump in, so I said 50/50 on the other notes.

10. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I agree with you. I'm no expert especially with paper. I do however have civil war paper. I know the $20 I posted is real, so using it to compare with the OP. Granted better pics by the OP would be helpful, thus the reason I asked for separate pics & a reverse pic of the $10.
    If it could be determined the authenticity of the $10 note yeah I'd be interested it. I didn't look that close when I first saw the post but went back & looked. If I'm wrong it won't be the first or last time.

11. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

The 500 and 2 look too nice to be real.

Check this out for good info:
    http://www.manhattancoinclub.org/newsletter/ConfederateCurrency.pdf

Inspect the signatures closely. Old banknotes were hand-signed, so a comparison between the questionable bills and known genuine ones will help you with determining whether the signatures are real.

12. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

I picked up a $10 just like that for $30 the other day, so it's probably worth somewhere around there.

The $500 definitely looks like a reprint, I'd take that one and the $2 to an expert to see if they can tell you for sure.

13. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Here's the problem with your 500: "Reproduced by Williams Printing Co. Atlanta"
    I'm not an expert but I would imagine that a genuine note would not say that it's been reproduced.
    1864500confederate.2_zps6pmokeil.jpg

afantiques, Smojo and jlogan like this.
  14. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Ouch, my $20 isn't in the greatest condition but seen worse. I paid half that for it, but I haggled it down to that.

Draft saved Draft deleted