1776 Copper New Hampshire : Unlike any I have seen , w/Pics, initials M.G.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by magoo, Jan 9, 2013.

1. magoo

magoo New Member

I have what I believe to be a 1776 Copper New Hampshire.
    The big question is if it is real or not, and if not why do you think so and does anyone have any more information of its origin.

P1010341.jpg P1010345.jpg P1010343.jpg

I have read up on what I can find online about the coin and I realize there are few facts about the 1776 NH copper coin. The one that sold last year at Stack's/Bowers graded by PCGS even states their coin weight exceeds the statements related to this coin (yet theirs is real). Their coin sold weighs 155 grains (~10 grams).
    I may be wrong but I believe these coins are known to be either bronze or copper? I do not know what my coin is.

I have not been able to find a similar one referenced online specifically to the initials M.G. where I believe 1776 is said to supposed to be.

• It looks too good to be real
    • "American Liberty" with Pine tree and Harp as described to be the 1776 New Hampshire Copper
    • What is M.G. (possibly the replicators trademark?) (maybe William Moulton's cousin :) )
    • This coin weighs ~13 Grams (200 grains) (give or take a gram, not sure how accurate my scale is)
    • I inherited this coin from an estate my family inherited some 20 years ago.
    • It appears to me to be cast
    • The wear is very uneven if it is real
    • The strings on the harp My coin = 8 , PCGS = 9 (from what I can tell) I was not able to locate it documented if there was any variations to the number of strings of this elusive coin.

Is there a market even if this is "fake"?

Thanks everyone for your time!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Not even looking up the coin in Bowers I know its a fake.

Look at the edge man. They didn't even attempt to hide the casting seam.

I have seen tons of colonials just like this. They were made, (not counterfeited because they never intended to fool anyone), in the 60's before it was illegal. I believe a cereal company included them in their boxes as the special prize for kids when coin collecting was "hot".

Very similar coins exist of ancient Jewish coins. I have never had a non-collector bring to me an authentic ancient Jewish coin, but have had 100 at least of the fakes brought to me.

As fakes, they have very little value. I have a box of them in my black cabinet.

4. magoo

magoo New Member

I just so happened to do a search today on eBay (which I have done numerous times in the past without any luck) and found the SAME identical coin sold a few weeks ago, this does prove to me it is type sort of replica.

If anyone has any information on it's origin I am still curious. Other than the auction mentioned, I have never seen this particular coin before. Who is M.G.? Mary Gillick (doubtful)?

Thanks medoraman for your info, I really don't have the experience with these types of coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted