1776 continental currency coin....real or fake?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Danielle Maddox, Mar 15, 2018.

?

Real or Fake?

1. Real

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Fake

22 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. coin roll

coin roll Active Member

Wasn't there a thread about people thinking Chinese "replicas" were originals?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

4. Coinsailor

Coinsailor Member

It’s fake what tests did it pass did it ring? It looks fake sorry

5. Tracy Akers

Tracy Akers New Member

By doing the ice test I know this is real silver so can a counterfeit be on real silver. Also there is a hidden 8 right before 1776. I took pics of coin with a better camera and seen a clock with Roman numerals on it. Is there markings that can tell if this coin is real

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

You've been pushing this piece of trash for 9 months now.
    Get it out to a TPG. when it comes back as genuine, then, and only then, will you be believed. We'll also grovel for forgiveness if it comes back as genuine.

7. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Certainly a fake can be made of real silver, but that does not make it genuine. Your coin is definitely a fake, regardless of the composition.

8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

When i was young and my parents took us to the east coast, especially around the Boston area, the trinket shops always had bowls of old US replica coins. I assume many of those now fake out a new generation.

This was before and after the hobby act required. COPY to be stamped on them.

9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

These were not made in silver.

10. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Actually there were some made in silver, although they are much rarer than pewter or brass.

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

12. Insider

:rolleyes: Somehow I knew someone would post this. Nevertheless, I didn't wish to feed the OP's "pipe dreams." So while basically correct, as I recall we can count the number of silver issues on one hand and they are all accounted for.

Oh, I guess there are a few floating around waiting to be discovered along with the one struck in gold. :facepalm:

13. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Basically correct? Isn't that like a little bit pregnant? :D

Insider and Heavymetal like this.
  14. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

somewhat … kinda yeah. :)

Insider likes this.
  15. Insider

LOL, more like today's Uncirculated w/rub.

16. Coin Questioner

Coin Questioner New Member

Hi all. I know this is an old thread, and I may not get a response. I have a Continental Curency coin, and I'm trying to figure out if it is real. Not to sell it, but just to know that I may be holding a piece of history in my hands.

I have had this coin a LONG time and I couldn't for the life of me tell you where I got it. One day it showed up and I've had it ever since. I've had it for 25+ years but cannot explain where I got it.

It weighs in at 17 grams. I've done the pewter check and it leaves the correct mark for pewter (yes I actually rubbed some of the material off on paper.) It's only got the one 'R' but from my research that doesn't necessarily mean it's fake.

It is well worn, the way I would expect pewter to be after 300+ years. It doesn't have the bumps around the edges the way most of the fakes I've seen on the net do.

I'm not sure what else to do to test it. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm attaching Pics.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Coin Questioner

Something is wrong with Google Drive Sharing. I'll have to figure this out before I can post the pics. Sorry.

18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

click upload at the bottom of the reply box, select file and phot and click the tab next to your uploaded photo that says Full image. Not thumbnail like I have done.

Attached Files:

19. Coin Questioner

20. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It's fake, and pretty obviously fake at that, being visibly cast, with the usual mushy details that implies. It's not even a good fake.

This is what a genuine pewter example of the variety with the "CURENCY" spelling looks like. Notice the difference in sharpness?

Its only value is whatever it would fetch as a novelty (i.e, replica). I'd say a buck or two at most, personally.

Edit: I was responding to the original post, not realizing this was a resurrected "zombie thread".

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am not sure why. New members post photos all the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted