1776 Continental Curency

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by zack, Apr 4, 2011.

1. zack

zack New Member

Hi. I was recently looking through a collection of old coins that was given to me after a relative passed away and came across this coin. I did some research on it and found that there is many replicas of this coin. I would appreciate it if anyone can inform me about this coin before I get it checked out. Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Well, the deceased person, loved you. If it is real and it looks like it may be. What you have is a"Continental Dollar" or sometimes called a "Fugio Dollar" It is probally made of pewter and in that condition is worth around $5,000. Now if its silver you are filthy rich. Only 1 is known to exist and it sold for $99,000.00. The Krause number for your coin is KM# EA5

4. zack

zack New Member

Thanks for the info! It would be awesome if this were real. I don't think I would want to sell it. How do I go about checking this coin to make sure it's not a copy? Also what is the Krause number? Thank you

Zack

5. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Zack the Krause number is the number coin sellers and buyers use to ID thier coins. Its kind of a universal numbering system for coin collectors. It looks real enough to me. Well I would send the coin to one of the 2 big third party graders registered and insured mail. I suggest PCGS or NGC. It is also a handbook which we use to ID coins. Yours would be in the Krause 1700 to 1800.

6. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I don't like the look of this piece zack. The grainy surfaces and indistinct devices and lettering just don't look genuine to me. There have been numerous restrikes made of these coins, even into the 1960's. It would help some is you could weigh it and measure the diameter. Genuine pieces do vary, but at least it would be something to go on. There are a few members on the forum who are good with these colonial issues, so hopefully they'll weigh in on it later. Good luck!

Bruce

7. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

It is made of pewter. that is how they were made in 1776. At any rate PCGS should check it out for him. If it is real, a dealer may take advantage of him.

8. swhuck

swhuck Junior Member

Absolutely a replica. Sorry. :(

9. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Yes, absolutely a replica, in fact you can see the "R" for replica to the left of the date. This is one of the cheap souvenir type replicas that is not very deceptive.

10. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

well it looks like more expiernced hands with the coin in question showed up. I am sorry its not real. Bummer

Draft saved Draft deleted