1776 Continental Congress Coin?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by AnatomyMan, May 2, 2016.

1. AnatomyMan

AnatomyMan Member

Hi Everyone,
    I teach anatomy and physiology and toward the end of each year I have my students ask me questions. One question was on hobbies and I went on about collecting coins for the last 40 years.
    Today one of my students tells me his grandmother is shipping him this coin for me to look at.
    The coin has been in there family as it was her great grandfathers.
    Of course I instantly got excited but realize there are many forgeries.
    When I receive this coin I will send better picture. But let me know where to focus my attention please.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

old49er likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Mikey Zee and AnatomyMan like this.
  4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

100% crude fake.

5. noname

noname Well-Known Member

That Fugio cent is a fake.................... Lying grandma:shifty:

df oieddno edinssd likes this.
  6. Insider

Actually not a Fugio Cent...EDIT: The design for the cent was copied from these coins which were struck long before the Fugio's.

Check the edge. I'll bet there is a raised line all around the coin in the center of the edge. Also look for "Copy" on edge or a "T" or "R" punched into the field. Or...look for flaking silver color plating (think I see it near edge).

DON'T do this on a a genuine specimen but in the old days dealers/collectors would rub the edge of the coin across a sheet of white paper. Genuine pewter coins would leave a mark of a certain color.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Mikey Zee and noname like this.
  7. noname

noname Well-Known Member

I meant the basic design is of a fugio cent, but I know its a fake

8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Looks like a cast pewter copy.

9. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Why would you want to say this about his grandmother?

Paul M. likes this.
  11. noname

noname Well-Known Member

the part about "Today one of my students tells me his grandmother is shipping him this coin for me to look at.
    The coin has been in there family as it was her great grandfathers." And to be clear, I wasn't showing hostility, just trying to be funny, obviously its not a joke anymore since I aaaaalllllways have to explain myself:)

12. Kentucky

People seldom get my humor either, that's why I try and append some sort of a smiley : - )

noname likes this.
  13. Insider

Grandma may not have been lying as this piece does not appear to be "marked" (made after 1972). This looks like 1940's to 1950's manufacture so possibly 55 to 70 years old.

Paul M. likes this.
  14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Just a tad harsh, but I think he was trying to be more tongue in cheek.......like Bad Santa.

15. Kentucky

Yeah, I guess we need to use our smilies more :angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic:

16. AnatomyMan

AnatomyMan Member

I knew you were joking no problem

17. Insider

BETTER NOT! @Cascade will "get" you.

Kentucky likes this.
  18. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Older copy they did a lot of these of colonials in the 40s and 50s sold a lot at historic sites and battlefields

Paul M. likes this.
  19. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Pics are too blurry to tell definitively, but, given the provenance, I would highly suspect a cast replica. Check the signs @Insider pointed out, then weigh it and measure its diameter if those check out.

20. Kentucky

I kin sthop eny time I like...;)

Paul M. likes this.
  21. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

We'll await your images, but I see a number of discrepancies between this coin and the single known obverse used for the "CURENCY" variety which lacks "EG FECIT."

Draft saved Draft deleted