1776 20 D silver coin made into a necklace whats is it worth or anything about it????

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by countrygal, Jun 21, 2009.

1. countrygal

countrygal New Member

I really need help have a 20 D 1776 silver coin with a women on front turned into a necklace, and I have no ideal whats it about or worth if anyone knows please let me know. Thank you very much

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Welcome to CoinTalk.

Please post a photo of your coin. We cannot tell you much about your find from only a vague description.

It is highly doubtful it is a genuine US coin for several reasons:

1) You say your coin is dated 1776. The US did not start minting coins until 1792.

2) You say your coin has a denomination of "20D". The highest denomination silver US coin is $1.

3) The US did not start minting a $20 coin until 1849. And it was a gold coin.

4) The "dollar" denomination was not used on Colonial coinage.

Clawcoins and Ordinary Fool like this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

without a picture: nothing.

Most likely, a cast copy.

But, again, without a picture, value = Nada.

5. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

I think we were useing Brit, French and Spanish coins for trade at that time. Traci

6. Gr8Luv72

Gr8Luv72 New Member

I too have a 1776 20 D........

0210111419.jpg 0210111419a.jpg Here is the coin that I have, here are the pics.

7. swhuck

swhuck Junior Member

Re: the photographed piece:

Imitation of a twenty dollar gold piece, probably made within the last 20-30 years. Not an actual coin or numismatic item of any kind, and therefore zero numismatic value. Any value would be based on the jewelry value of the entire piece.

8. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

it was probably made during the bicentennial year.

9. 1997

1997 New Member

I agree with coinmaster1. I suggest googling it. Also try looking on ebay. Maybe worth something other than scrap.

10. Christopher Bridges

Christopher Bridges New Member

Do you think it's silver content because I ran across the exact same one and did Check with a magnet and it's definitely a precious metal. Plated or not I don't know and I hate to scratch it

11. Nicole Reed

Nicole Reed New Member

L

12. GOLDEN

GOLDEN New Member

I RECENTLY FOUND THE EXACT COIN, CLEANING OUT MOM'S OLD JEWELRY AFTER SHE PASSED AWAY ABOUT A WEEK AGO. IDK IF IT'S EVEN REAL SILVER OR NOT. IT APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN A NECKLESS ALTHOUGH I DON'T HAVE THE CHAIN PART. DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR PIECE OF JEWELRY? PLEASE HELP. THANK YOU.......IT IS VERY ODD, YET QUITE MESMERIZING. ALL HELP IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED...........

13. dog_pound

dog_pound Supporter! Supporter

Golden,
    FYI, it is normally bad form to type in all caps on a forum, it is distracting and normally used to emphasize a point or to yell at someone.

14. angel200168

angel200168 New Member

15. JamiePA 69

JamiePA 69 New Member

16. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Nominated for “Most Confusing Revival of a Thread 2018”

Clawcoins likes this.
  17. JimmyTheGreat

JimmyTheGreat New Member

I just got the same one that the person in the picture posted of the one with the necklace. Well I see no1 still knows much about it tho. (lol) It’s like the mysterious coin that everyone has!

18. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

It is not a coin. It is a piece of jewelry with an artistic rendition of a coin.

19. Lennox

Lennox New Member

I have one that is gold does that mean it's real ?

Attached Files:

20. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

21. Lennox

Lennox New Member

How do you know

Draft saved Draft deleted