1776-1976 bicentennial quarters on eBay

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Inspector43, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

My favorite dealer laments this to me every time I see him. He is a nice guy and hates to deflate folks that bring in the ASE they bought on TV for $99.00 and similar sorts of acquisitions.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

So what happens if I click the "contact seller" button and very politely say... "How do you sleep nights you crook?"..... Would that get me kicked off of Ebay?

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I hope not! I laugh when I see these listings. So sad.. Sadder is listings for minor mint errors that have no premium or worth no more than $2.00 or $3.00 with prices of $100's of dollars :banghead:

5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

At one time there was a function on eBay that allowed you to ask the seller a question and the question would be visible to anyone who looked at the item. I don't think it is available anymore. I have posted some questions pointed at obvious errors or untruths that the sellers didn't like.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. Inspector43

There is a "report item" link. Has anyone ever used it? What does it do?

Kentucky likes this.
  7. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Back during the bicentennial a friend and I went to the bank and bought several unc. rolls each, thinking maybe, just maybe they would be worth the effort at some point. Fact is that thousands of people were thinking the same thing. But now it appears maybe I can put them on the Bay as unsearched unc. rolls?

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

...all the time, makes me feel better.

9. Gilbert

I report fakes and counterfeits (mostly from China) all the time. Sometimes the seller gets thrown out, but often nothing happens. I reported a seller two days ago that has unmarked replica coins up for auction and the powers that be at eBay did absolutely nothing.

10. Inspector43

When you 'report' there are some 'drop down' menus. They don't seen to accommodate the things we are talking about. What do you use?

11. Gilbert

Under category select "prohibited and restricted items."
    Under reason for report select "stamps, currency and coins."
    Under detailed reason select "replica coins, replica paper currency, and replica stamps."

Kentucky and Inspector43 like this.
  12. Inspector43

Thanks.

13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Maybe a shill account

14. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Avoid such sellers - look for 100+ feedbacks as a seller @ 100% satisfaction - anything less & you're on your own.
    The seller in question has never bought or sold anything on eBay - his first attempt at selling is a failure - for $900 I'd want an original George Washington quarter from 1776 :p
    The one he's trying to sell looks like it was dug up by a metal detectorist...

15. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

Looks like this is the only coin this seller is selling . I guess he didn't do his homework

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I bet I've reported Papas_Pouch and whatever reincarnation of Noaz_Ark at least 100 times, but nada...

Inspector43 likes this.
  17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The seller has to approve the question for public viewing, it isn't automatic. Most don't approve it, especially if it paints them or what they are selling in a bad light.

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted