1776-1976 Bicentennial Eisenhower dollar

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Dj67, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Dj67

Dj67 Active Member

Good morning,
    I've been going through some of my coins, ones that I haven't looked at for quite some time, and now a little more (fraction) knowledge as too what to look for this dollar I'm guessing the wrong medal was used, also it looks like it may have been a clash, should I submit it to be graded? thank you!
    Dottie IMG_20171126_162216753.jpg IMG_20171126_162133102.jpg IMG_20171126_162251087.jpg IMG_20171126_162314466.jpg IMG_20171126_162251087.jpg IMG_20171127_104011191.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Dj67

Dottie, your bicentennial Ike looks like it was subjected to some form of environmental damage. In my opinion, it is not worth submitting for grading.

Chris

4. gold standard db

gold standard db Active Member

Try weighing the both of them. The edge has shiny spots. Is it tarnish or wrong planchet? A bronze medal go in machine? I like blanks, rim or not, but cant see what blank coulda made that.

Dj67 and Santinidollar like this.
  5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

The "right metal" (not "wrong medal") for this is standard ordinary cupro-nickel sandwich. What makes you think this is not cupro-nickel? Especially the 75% element of the outside layers, copper, is fairly severely reactive, and if you're telling me you've never seen any other clad coins with similar coloration, I'm telling you that you need to get more experience looking at coins. Environmental damage. Please, not every coin that looks different is an error. You need to get past that idea.

Fallguy likes this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No.. You are wrong.
    Not a bronze blank Planchet.. And not medal.. It's metal

Dj67 likes this.
  7. gold standard db

Instead of saying "wrong" say your input. offer advice or say something. just wrong is just wrong.

Dj67 likes this.
  8. paddyman98

Think of It this way.. In order for that to be an off metal, it would of been a blank Planchet intended for another coin. Since the Eisenhower Dollar is probably the largest denomination coin minted, there can't be a wrong Planchet for another coin since they are all smaller... Understood?

@gold standard db .. I just did

Dj67 and Fallguy like this.
  9. gold standard db

Those streaks on obverse would account for peeled clad layer.

10. paddyman98

I always do.. In my over 10,000+ posts that I have posted over the years.

11. gold standard db

I know eisenhower peace morgan all same size. Seen a $1 on a 50c blank. Like i said, i dont know of any other blank dollar sized. him saying medal metal dont help.

12. paddyman98

Morgan is silver planchet
    And.. A $1 dollar struck on a 50c planchet would be smaller. So this Ike is not struck on wrong Planchet.

tommyc03 and Fallguy like this.
  13. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

As others have said, the coin has environmental damage. Most likely spent some time in the ground

It IS NOT an off metal or peeling clad.

Fallguy and paddyman98 like this.
  15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Who told you that?

Chris

16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

My guess is that those streaks are the result of cleaning an env. damaged coin.

17. gold standard db

Ive seen a bunch of peeled clads/ laminations that left streaks. without the coin in hand, this is all just speculation.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

Learn that in a "feelings first" public school, did you?

CoinCorgi likes this.
  19. kkathyl0

kkathyl0 Active Member

soak it in hot soapy water if no change, get acetone and soak for 10 minutes. Then hold it straight up while twirling around three times. Now try touching your nose and holding up one foot at the same time.

Dj67 and CoinCorgi like this.
  20. gold standard db

overcompensating much? got your fancy suit and your references posted. dont be hostile toward me because u mad at life. coin talk not trash talk

Dj67 likes this.
  21. V. Kurt Bellman

Aw, c'mon. That's just amateur stuff. Ya gotta twirl it ON your nose, like a basketball on your fingertip. :cool:

kkathyl0 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted