1773 Mexico 8 Reales Bank of England c/mark

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by mark240590, May 28, 2016.

1. mark240590

mark240590 Rule Britannia !

Hey guys, I've just picked this up but I'm a little dubious of it given the fact it's got chops on it as I've not seen another with them.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does anyone have any experience with these that could help me out a little as I'm not so clued up on Spanish coins of the BoE countermarks come to think of it !
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

What you have is a Bank of England 1797 Dollar (4 Shillings 9 Pence-5 Shillings)
    KM# 632. It has the Type I countermark on a 1773 Mexico 8 Reales (KM#106). Weight was 27.0674, given some wear yours is not that far off. 0.9030 Silver, 0.7858 ASW. These were struck on Mexico coinage dated 1772-1789.
    Any silver coin circulating in China during that time frame was subject to chop marks and the 8 Reales certainly circulated in China.

mark240590 and Paul M. like this.
  4. mark240590

Thanks mate, do you have a source where you find the info on the countermarks ? It's a little embarrassing to be fair considering I'm British and have been collecting British colonies for years. I must say though that I have spent much more time researching the colonies than my homeland !

Paul M. likes this.
  5. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Try here

http://www.britnumsoc.org/publications/Digital BNJ/pdfs/2000_BNJ_70_11.pdf

6. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

This type of countermark, where George is looking up instead of straight forward, are modern.

7. mark240590

How modern are we talking ? Any idea ?
    Thanks.

8. Numismat

Mid to late 20th century. Though the host coin appears genuine.

Insider likes this.
  9. mark240590

Hmm pity ! Ha I did think it might have been wrong. :(

10. Numismat

Yea, I can't imagine such an awkward posturing of the king would have been officially approved

11. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

When I saw it opening this posting I was more worried about the C/S, not the chops; the host coin and chops are most certainly real and not uncommon on 8 reales. There were many made up c/stamps applied in the 60's. I would certainly place the coin in my collection. Make sure your holder states the c/s is a fake so those that come after you.

Big Money likes this.
  12. mark240590

That's what I meant by the fact the coins would have normally been tied up in China when the bank was countermarking them leading me too believe something could be counterfeit.

13. John King

John King Member

I know Spanish 8 reales were used in the colonies in early 18th century.

Draft saved Draft deleted