1772 Spanish Colonial 8 Real coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Dm679864, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Dm679864

Dm679864 Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

Can't tell you whether is is real or not, although the pictures below tend to show that it might be real (see the face and the clothing design, as well as the rims of the coin comparison). Here is a description of the coin.

First year of the portrait design on Spanish silver coins. This example is from the Mexico City mint where, in the early years of this type, there was some confusion as to the proper orientation of the mint mark with respect to the other legend text. This issue shows the mint mark in the same orientation as the previous pillar design -- the assayer initials are also in the same orientation -- but in opposite orientation to the rest of the legend text. In addition, this coin is the rare variety where the initials have been transposed from "FM" to "MF". Subsequent issues, starting in 1773, reversed the alignment of the mint mark and initials to be consistent with the rest of the legend text.

[​IMG]

8 REALES CAROLUS III GENERAL VALUES (38 mm diameter)
    worn: $100 US dollars approximate catalog value
    average circulated: $200
    well preserved: $250

Can't wait to see if some experts weigh in and see how I did.

4. Dm679864

Dm679864 Member

Thanks for your input!! Definitely not my area of expertise so a bit beyond my scope here!

5. Dm679864

Dm679864 Member

Anyone else?

Draft saved Draft deleted