1766 Russian gold 2 roubles, PCGS thought it was cleaned

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Numismat, May 21, 2015.

1. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Thanks for that insight, it makes sense why most that come to market are high grade. I have not seen any that were heavily circulated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Derry

Derry Member

Crack it out and send it to NGC.

4. Captain Jack

Captain Jack New Member

*Captain Jack Sparrow Voice*: Ditto on this one, mate

5. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

When I first started collecting...my local coin dealer sat me down for a week long class on counterfeit, cleaned, whizzed coin he had in his possession. They were coins that he had inadvertently bought when he was first starting out and he kept them for future reference. These coins have helped him tremendously. I looked over these coins and each one had a certain "washed" look about them. I would better described it like a shinny outer lining and dull inside. The luster is gone in my opinion. It just looks like a coin that has been washed in the past. The coin still has it melt value, but not much more than that. Hope this helps.

6. Numismat

lol :) This coin could have like 5 holes in it and ebola and it would still be worth way more than melt.

But about the cleaned part. It looks like a common thing that happens with coins due to handling, the fields around the central design get some fine hairlines and "dull" look from being touched, while the outer portions don't really make contact with skin nearly as much. To call this a cleaning on an old coin is a really strict way of going about it, especially considering that coins that had been wiped or dipped much more recently are often given the "market acceptable" pass and a numerical grade by both NGC and PCGS. It's really more like normal handling. That is where my lack of understanding of why this coin got the cleaned designation comes from.

7. Jason Hoffpauir

With those deficiencies that you noted you say that it would still be worth way more than melt...I think it MAY be worth more but I don’t see ANYONE buying for what you are saying. If it does sell like you say...please show me because as for now I don't believe it...JMHO not starting a flame war with you, but eye appeal is everything to a whole lot of people; not matter how rare a coin is. Everyone wants the best of the best if they can afford it.

8. Numismat

Check out the link in my original post and also the one gxseries provided: http://www.m-dv.ru/catalog/id,3891/prohod.html

PS: melt value on this coin is like $90.

9. Jason Hoffpauir

Sorry I tried...but the link is no good. :jawdrop:

10. Numismat

11. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Send it to NGC the good guys after all PCGS is in Calif.

Numismat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted