1760 Voce Popoli

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Seascape, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Seascape

Seascape U.S. & World Collector

Well after 3 weeks of going back and looking at this example 9,10,11 times a day for 3 weeks.... than a short burst of negotiations that really didnt get me very far... here she is.

My newest acquisition.

1760 Voce Populi N-12 R-3

Internet_20210819_193439_2.jpeg Internet_20210819_193439_1.jpeg

Chris B, buckeye73, MIGuy and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice, congrats.

5. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Me want one too.

MIGuy likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I like it. Pretty nice surfaces. I mulled over the purchase of one a while back, but didn't get it.

7. charley

charley Well-Known Member

This is one of my favorite pieces of all coins that circulated in Colonial America. I don't know if it was the Dublin connection, or the British Evasion Coppers connection, or the piece that was found in the ground at the Port Deposit Plantation in Maryland, which served as some more proof to the speculation that the pieces circulated in colonial America, or whether it is the simple phrase of the voice of the people. I am a lifelong admirer of all things Voce Populi, and have tons of the research by Bressett and Zelinka and Nelson.

In my opinion (not worth much, especially in a negotiation) is, an R3 is to low for this example, and in fact for any Voce Populi example.

Good on you for purchasing it.

To this day, I am still fascinated by the button maker Roche, and what motivated him. I think he was a staunch freedom loving smartazz Irishman that really enjoyed irritating the King in any way he could. My kind of guy.

Lueds, Treashunt and lordmarcovan like this.
  8. Seascape

Hey thanks for the commentary.

I am with you. This coin captivated me. A very inexpensive G in fact. I think I am going to purchase it as well. Something about it.

But yes some literature really downplays they're significance in colonial history. It's my understanding only a few have been dug in american colony areas... so idk.

I'm pretty sure I seen this N-12 listed as R-2 in something. I would want to confirm that. Either way I agree these are very rare. When I get mine it will be the first i have ever seen in hand .... or ever seen live period.

Thanks for the reply.

charley likes this.
  9. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

@Seascape , if you haven't considered joining the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), you might to give it a thought. They have a great club journal and you can make all kinds of contacts with really knowledgable collectors. Annual dues are $30, IIRC.

halfcent1793 and Seascape like this.
  10. Seascape

It's something I would definitely consider. I've often wondered about local coin clubs as well. I buy these great coins but other than all you guys on coin talk I really don't have anybody to show them...talk about them... talk about what I'm looking at now.... sometimes I just get stuck and don't know what to seek out next which is very uncomfortable for me. I always need a coin that I'm seeking. It's genuinely the only thing that helps me stop thinking about work for a minute or 2. So when I'm stuck in between hunts..... not good.

I'd also like to be able to deal locally. My LCS is really good. But colonial and pre federal they have almost nothing. Its weird. Trays of flowing hair.... not one vermont!

But anyhow. Right now I'm looking at Massachusetts, Rosa Americana, and Vermont. If I'm leaning 1 way... probably Massachusetts. A good example. I'm gonna actually hunker down in my new Bowers encyclopedia today and see if it gets me "focused" on something.

But ya.... I'll take a look C4. Thanks for the advice.

11. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Nice, solid example with the mysterious "P". Mine has the P below the bust.

charley and Seascape like this.
  12. charley

That is good, because I don't want a member to just read the Thread title and going on a search for Popoli and end up visiting Italy.

It is always the Italians......

Yes, yes, I am being a smartazz (again) this morning.

13. charley

That is always tricky, because as you know, there are some contemporary pieces that copied the Roche lower P variety.

I like to think that he had imbibed a bit to much of the Irish, and just hammered in the wrong place. if nothing else, it is a good bar story.

ksparrow likes this.
  14. Seascape

Oh man. I spelled it wrong. I wonder if auto correct got me or something? That sucks. Plus it wont let me edit it.

15. charley

Well. off to Italy.....if it is any help, the word Populi has the same etymology as popoli from the Greek to Latin to Italian, but I don't know how the Irish got their hands on it, considering their defiance of the Jesuits, in regard to the idea of drinking.

Seascape likes this.
  16. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

N12 is currently listed as an R2 I believe. Pretty common, but yours is a nice example. I will second the recommendation of joining C4. It is a great group and you get a newsletter with info that you won't get anywhere else.

17. Seascape

I joined. Not sure what now. I'll start getting emails? A site login?

18. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

If things proceed as usual, you will be contacted. IIRC, when I joined I got a snail mail welcoming me and eventually the club magazine started showing up. Be patient - these are volunteer organizations.

When I joined, had the opportunity to buy a CD with all of the club magazine issues from founding through 2011 through 2011 for $50 which I did and it fills those hours when you need something interesting to read. 2011 and later is available on the Newman Numismatic Portal.

And of course, you will get notifications of club meetings at local and national coin shows. C4 often collaborates with EAC.

19. Seascape

Ok got it. Thanks for the reply.

I will wait a while and see what happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted