1757 Treaty of Easton Indian Peace Medal w/no fire or pipe, THOUGHTS???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinrealm, Oct 19, 2015.

1. coinrealm

coinrealm New Member

Obverse has different variety of bust
    Reverse has no peace pipe, campfire replaced with rocks and feather or weed along with other slight variances
    Appears to be struck(not 100% sure) and it overall looks of high quality, almost more appealing than the original
    White metal(nickel, pewter, zinc I don't know)
    Measures 50.5mm, ribbed edge, about 40 grams
    Is it just a novelty? Why would they leave out some of the prime elements? Only could find 3 with no price results. Proving to be more elusive than any of the 13 originals, later restrikes by Richardson, the many US mint restrikes(old and new cut dies), or the lead casts(castings of the old and new strikes)
    This is a very interesting "copy" and the only one I can find with a different variety type
    Any experts out there???

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

modern fantasy

Jwt708 and swamp yankee like this.
  4. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

If it is made of nickel it's not from 1757. Is it magnetic? If so, it's nickel.

swamp yankee likes this.
  5. coinrealm

coinrealm New Member

Not magenetic

Attached Files:

6. coinrealm

coinrealm New Member

Try and find one...I dare ya!!!

7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Looks pretty modern with an artificial patina to me, but I am certainly no expert on these.

8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Looks like a 'period' piece to me. There is enough about it to make 'modern fantasy' a bit of a facile dismissal without citing any evidence, such as common similar pieces. In hand it may be easier to assess.

coinrealm likes this.
  9. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

The flat fields and regularity of design details, esp. lettering do not look like a product of techniques and tools of the late 1700s. There is no evidence of handwork on dies one normally sees. Everything is completely clean as one would expect of a modern, manufactured item. The patina on the second medallion appears to have been applied to make it look old.

Numismat likes this.
  10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I see a lot of 18th. C. stuff. Quality of production in Europe was well up to modern standards. Better, in terms of design,I'd say. Just because a thing looks well done is not evidence of modernity.

Besides, what's the point? Why do all that work to produce something similar to a known medallion? Identical I could understand, there is good money in convincing fakes, but plainly different? Who benefits?

coinrealm likes this.
  11. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

It is modern. Some guy is asking nearly $300 for it on eBay. It's literally worth like $5. The changes in design elements from originals/official restrikes makes it slightly more interesting, but still a novelty piece.

KurtS likes this.
  12. Numismat

13. coinrealm

coinrealm New Member

I'm the one who bought it from Ebay and to say it is only worth $5 is ridiculous. Even as a fake it is worth substantially more than $5 dollars. To say it is a fake just because it was on Ebay is no way evidence to support the your opinion, please provide facts. The last British peace medal a kid purchased on Ebay for $100, he was the only bidder. Experts told him it was fake but he was persistent and eventually sold it for $15,000. A few months later it was sold at a Stacks auction for $47,000. I'm not saying mine is real, I know its a copy but $5 come on who are you to decide???

14. Numismat

See this article: http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=16774

Skip down to "summary" where it breaks down values for specific varieties. These are originals, old official restrikes, modern US mint restrikes and then souvenir/novelties like this one.

As you can see by the design differences, this has nothing to do with original or new dies.

KurtS likes this.
  15. coinrealm

coinrealm New Member

BTW...the beads are real indian trade beads and the ebay seller is liquidating an entire estate of a very prominent collection of valuable Native American artifacts. Including over 40 peace medals (some are authenticated). Also my medal is almost twice the size of a morgan dollar and the one you are citing as a reference is the size of a quarter.

16. Numismat

What are you even talking about? What is the size of a quarter?

17. coinrealm

coinrealm New Member

I already know everything you are saying. That was the first article I read on these medals. I have 4 of these, one is a lead novelty and one is actually a lead cast of the original coin (most likely a pattern coin according to ANS) All the novelty's are lead casts of the new cut dies by barber and there is no other modern copies of this medal to be found. Try and find one...

18. coinrealm

coinrealm New Member

The link that YOU posted of the modern reproduction you are comparing mine to

19. coinrealm

coinrealm New Member

I didn't buy this medal because I thought it was an original, I know the difference between the original, the re strikes and the novelty lead casts, I bought it because of the different die variety and the size, it was all very intriguing to me

20. coinrealm

coinrealm New Member

Thank you for the only coherent response so far. Every one is so quick to dismiss such a fascinating find when it is not theirs. Funny you mention British standards because the original design of this medal was actually approved by King George before it was officially struck by Richardson. There is literally about 2 paragraphs in American history relating to this coin, I think has deeper British roots than American collectors would like to think. I just dug up an article that touched base on this medal and it states that King George II supplied this design to tribal leaders in South Africa as well as native Americans. With that being said, if it is true, there would have had to been dies cut in England as well for this medal. This would explain the absence of the council fire and the peace pipe. South African tribal leaders would not have associated the peace pipe or council fire, it would have confused them, its a Native American tradition with no meaning in Africa

21. Numismat

This right here tells me why I should not have bothered after my first reply in this thread.
    Enjoy your medal.

Insider and KurtS like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted