1757 St. George 2 Kopeks (Off center, Double struck?)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by carson pytell, Sep 13, 2015.

1. carson pytell

carson pytell New Member

Hello,

I was just wondering what's going on with the lack of details on Georges head and above. Is it a double strike? That was what jumped out at me first, besides the off center strike.

Thanks

Attached Files:

chrsmat71 and swamp yankee like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Double strikes and over-strikes are common on Russian copper coins from this era. I'm having difficulty figuring out which one yours is, but I'm leaning towards over-strike on another coin.

4. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I'm a bit at a loss. This particular 2 kopek is known for overstruck over the previous 1755 - 1757 1 kopek. If you look closely at the right side of the first picture in particular right next to the mouth of the horse, this looks like the fern on the reverse.

Personally, it is likely to be a flip over strike. Because these are notorious for various poor quality strikes, ranging from overstrikes to multiple strikes, it is actually harder to find one that is struck on fresh planchet and is in decent condition.

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i have this similar coin...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

you can see the date of the undertype (1756?) about 8 o'clock on the reverse and the wings of the eagle lower right.

6. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Doesn't look double stamped to me? o_O

7. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

I would say: 2 kopeks (Russian) over 1 ore (Swedish).

8. Siberian Man

Probably it was such coin.

Attached Files:

• 25.jpg
      25.jpg
      File size:
      182.4 KB
      Views:
    • 26.jpg
      26.jpg
      File size:
      164.9 KB
      Views:
  9. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I disagree. 2 kopek coin would have been overstruck over 2 ore and this is quite scarce. I have only seen pictures of such and have not obtained a sample. I do own one kopek overstruck over one ore and this was by pure luck. Have been trying to find another example but have been proven to be too difficult.

10. Siberian Man

2 ore is very big coin (more than 28 g.). 2 kopeks is not such big.

Attached Files:

• 147.jpg
      147.jpg
      File size:
      144.6 KB
      Views:
    • 148.jpg
      148.jpg
      File size:
      142.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      72.4 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      71.7 KB
      Views:
  11. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

As far as I am aware, there is no such 2 kopek overstruck over 1 kopek. I am happy to see such example. While 28g seems high, it is slightly over weight tolerance. It is possible that some weight got cut off . On the other hand a 1 ore coin is only 14 grams , which is under the standard for a 2 kopek coin, which is supposed to weigh around 20 grams.

Draft saved Draft deleted