1756 2 reales Mexico City mint - is it real?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Swervo513, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Swervo513

Swervo513 Well-Known Member

Hey All!

I just got back from my honeymoon in Baja, Mexico. On my trip I came across a boutique that had many things made of silver including a small coin section. Among some fakes and eclectic pieces of Mexican coins I find this little gem. I think it’s real but I can not be certain. After buying some silver jewelry he charged me about $25 bucks for the coin. I lent out my scale so I used my food scale To measure the weight. The scale is teetering between 6-7 grams I assume because it’s closer to 6.9. The coin is not magnetic.

C49B3475-1815-4FFB-857D-7B3EE8BF8EF9.jpeg

D26C97EE-025C-4B5E-98EF-3F0110CCD393.jpeg

E19FF09D-FCD3-4DA9-BBCB-496C3D989AD8.jpeg

Above: Notice the arrow shaped mark on the lower left quadrant of this coin. Is this a counter stamp? Is it just damage?

C69081C7-17D7-4A18-A4E0-6CA4FBB399A2.jpeg

Above: The coiled edge is an encouraging sign of authenticity.

5BC8A16D-CD0E-497C-9EC2-70136D4A7428.jpeg

Above: In this photo the edge seems worn Or it could be a sign of cleaning, even worse forgery.

C7D772A3-204C-4AC2-8461-D36CBF552425.jpeg 160EE31E-3ED6-458B-AB1D-296E1DF1B9BF.jpeg

Thank you for looking and for your responses.

Larry

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I can't swear to it but looks like a cast fake to me.

Insider likes this.
  4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Question. You paid $25. What is its catalog value - I'm not near my books?

5. Nathan F

Nathan F Well-Known Member

I’m not positive but I’m pretty sure it’s fake.

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Only because a moderator randomly happened to stumble across it just now. Use the “report” link for requests like that in the future, if you want them to be seen. ;)

Move to World Coins forum commencing in 3...2...1...

Swervo513 likes this.
  7. Swervo513

It weighed in at 6.43g it looks like it may be an old piece of jewelry. I’m not sure what the book value is but I’ve seen them for over $100 online. The “cast” marks only seem to be visible in the photos. I can’t seem to locate them in person. I’m 50/50 on this but if an expert can weigh in that would be awesome.

8. lordmarcovan

I concur with this. Likely genuine, but polished. Possibly an ex-jewelry piece.

(Edited to add: my opinion only. I could be wrong.)

Nice souvenir of your trip, regardless. Better than some other piece of modern manufactured kitsch, right?

PlanoSteve and Swervo513 like this.
  9. Swervo513

Sorry for the double post.

It weighed in at 6.43g it looks like it may be an old piece of jewelry. I’m not sure what the book value is but I’ve seen them for over $100 online. The “cast” marks only seem to be visible in the photos. I can’t seem to locate them in person. I’m 50/50 on this but if an expert can weigh in that would be awesome. Please disregard my other thread.

10. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I collect in other areas than ancients and have seen and handled many of these pieces. There are so many, many fakes of these coins that extreme caution should be exercised in purchasing them and that does not mean buying them from an established coin shop. They require more than that for authentication. Looking at this coin, admittedly only from a distance and photo, either that image or the coin appears "mushy" to me. What is its weight? Though a two bit coin like this often varied in weight when they were hand struck, hammered pieces, this one was supposed to be a milled coin and that means it should weigh one quarter of the the full piece of eight. Look at the one below I have posted, admittedly not the best quality photo from my cell phone. Looks pretty good. Not too much wear. Fairly smooth surface. No obvious signs of casting bubbles. Nice reeding on the milled edges. Silvery surface. It is negative to the touch of a magnet (not a nickel alloy). It should weigh about 6.77 grams as minted. It doesn't. I IMG_1784[7314]2 reales obv..jpg IMG_1785[7318]2 reales real obv.jpg IMG_1786[7322]2 reales edge..jpg It weighs 6.1 grams and that is noticeably under weight. If the mint was turning out 2 reales pieces of this weight consistently, somebody would be in big trouble. This coin resides in my black box of likely fakes. In this case a possibly pressed coin. Bottom line for me is that I would not purchase it as anything other than a another coin for my black cabinet. Yours might turn out to be genuine but its value probably precludes sending it out for authentication. I just prefer not to have a coin in my collection which every time I looked at it I would wonder what it is I have.

Swervo513 likes this.
  11. Swervo513

Please disregard this thread as it has been doubled in this forum. (Or delete)

12. Swervo513

Great reply! What gets me about my coin is the wear. It also has decent pitting which seems uneven and indicates age. The edge seems to have been polished down which can either mean it’s covering a cast or it was once a piece of jewelry. The weight is 6.43 and it is not magnetic. I’m not opposed to accepting this is a fake but if it is, it’s a darn good one.

13. lordmarcovan

Yeah, I think it is merely an overpolished genuine piece from jewelry. But I will defer to more expert opinions on that.

I had a similar dilemma with a 1768-Mo 8-reales Pillar dollar a few years back. The coin looked OK aside from being too shiny (polished) and suspiciously high grade (maybe “too good to be true”). I couldn’t complain, though, having bought it for a song.

I sold it on eBay with a low starting bid and a disclaimer that I thought it was real but could not definitively confirm its authenticity, and laid out all the pros and cons to be fair. Did quite well on the sale. A buyer in China bought it, which is possibly ironic.

The Eidolon, PlanoSteve and Swervo513 like this.
  14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

A duplicate of this thread has now been merged with this one so that other opinions would be visible.

15. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

So you really wanted to reel in a real reale, but wonder about its authenticity? :D

I'm in the ex-jewelry camp (that doesn't mean I think it's genuine, but what do I know :banghead:), but the acquisition cost ($25) & merchant source would give me pause...:( (We've been to Mexico many times...never looking for "deals", but certainly some great trinkets. ;))

However, I'm with @lordmarcovan on this,...it is a genuine reminder of your special trip, which may provide memories of a lifetime! Congrats! (...but let us know if you get a definitive answer) ;)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

Found my old pix (scans) of that coin.

I also found a notation that I paid $15 for it. (!)

Mexico-8R-1768-01500.jpg

17. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

One wonders if the buyer in China was buying it to use to make counterfeits of.

18. lordmarcovan

Hence the irony I previously mentioned. But I think not. When I looked at his feedback at the time, it seemed at least like he was merely a respectable World coin collector.

I couldn’t figure out the incomplete lettering on that coin. While it didn’t automatically scream “FAKE!” to me, that was another layer of uncertainty with it.

In those old scans, it almost looks semi-prooflike. But that was the polishing.

IIRC, the Chinese buyer paid somewhere in the mid- $100s for it (remember, I put plenty of disclaimers in the description, since to this day I don’t know if it was real but polished, or bogus). He was pleased and left positive feedback.

If it was real, he got it for a good price, despite the polishing.

And any way you slice it, it was a solid win for me, considering I’d gotten it for peanuts.

Draft saved Draft deleted