1755 1/2 Escudo, 1718 400 Reis, and other small gold

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 01mikep, Oct 18, 2012.

1. 01mikep

01mikep Well-Known Member

Today my mother-in-law came to visit and brought a few small gold coins over that were her mothers. I didn't know she had them until she asked if the amount she was offered by her local jewelry store was fair.

One is a Spanish 1/2 Escudo from 1755 minted in Madrid.
    1755 half escudo Obv.JPG

1755 half escudo Rev.JPG

Another is a 400 Reis from Portugal minted in 1718 but it is set in a piece of jewelry.
    1718 400 Reis Obv.JPG

1718 400 Reis Rev.JPG

The last two I know enough about that I don't have any real questions about them. One is a 4 Escudo coin from 1865 and is a MS coin with great cartwheel and I cannot find any issue with at all. Too bad there is only a tiny value added to this coin for its condition over the melt value. The last coin is a Mexican 5 Peso from 1920 in an average cirulated condition and just a melt value coin.

None of these coins are in line with anything I have been in the market for recently. I do collect late 1800's Spanish silver and am interested in the two spanish escudo coins since my mother-in-law is willing to part with them. I know what the melt value is on these and what the Krause value is as well, but what are these selling for on the market. Sometimes these book values fall short by a bit.

Is there any reason to save the 400 Reis or is it a good time to sell it to the jeweler along with the 5 Pesos.

Thanks,

MikeP

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Well the 1/2 Escudo is rather nice. Too bad about the bezel on the Portugal coin(perhaps its not damaged):smile

4. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

I would love to see the 4 escudo.

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Nice looking coins! Maybe you should offer to buy them, I would. Usually family will take payments and when you're done paying in full you get the coins. That's what I'd ask about. just a thought. :thumb:

6. domaintalk

domaintalk New Member

Nice coins your mother in law has.

400 Reis from Portugal minted in 1718 is a sexy beast!
    You will fetch a good price for it. The average circulated price of it starts from $200, a well preserved one can fetch upto $400 and a fully un circulated can even go up to $750. Best is to keep it for a few more years till the price doubles and then sell it.

Draft saved Draft deleted