1750 SHILLING AU-DETAILS Cleaned

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by COOPER12, Dec 17, 2020.

1. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

Questioning my sanity but this looked pretty nice for a cleaned coin and to me 126.00 seemed low for a 1750 Shilling but I may be missing something.
    As a rule I generally do not buy cleaned coins unless its a rare one and thats all I can afford.
    Please make me feel better haha.

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 8.03.39 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 8.04.04 PM.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Wow , Very nice Coin. I would buy it . ;)

COOPER12 likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I see nothing wrong with that coin. I'm not questioning their assessment that it had an old cleaning, but what I mean is that I see nothing wrong with the eye appeal overall. It looks acceptable. If you're not a slab snob and can live with a "details"-labeled coin, I'd say it's a pretty good pickup at the price.

Considering the NGC (Krause/Numismaster) database lists it at $750 in XF with no price data in higher grades, and if that's not one of their errors, I'd say 126 bucks for that is maybe even a steal. Even if you allow for some inflation in that "book price". I wonder what auction data about prices realized would say.

I'd have bought it at that price, if I weren't so twitchy about "details" graded coins.

It seems it is likely worth as much or maybe more than my PCGS MS63+ 1723-SSC shilling (ex-NGC MS64) which I was rather proud of.

Paul M., DEA and COOPER12 like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

I wonder what would happen if you cracked it out and sent it to PCGS, in hopes of getting a straight grade. It might be worth a shot, considering it's toned. It looks "crusty" enough to me. From the photos, I can't see any obvious evidence of cleaning, at least not for decades. Maybe- probably- it was, but it looks "market acceptable" to me, and maybe PCGS would agree. I know NGC is more recognized with World coins, but hey, if you got it into a straight-graded holder...

COOPER12 likes this.
  6. COOPER12

Thats what I was thinking, I figured I was not loosing money . I think on this one I can live with a details grade . I see a little green spot on the reverse near the top but that is the only issue I see , and I see some straight graded ones listed that look to have been more cleaned. This one appears to have re toned some

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. COOPER12

yeah I was thinking that as well.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

Heck, even ANACS or ICG. Get that puppy in a straight-graded holder from a recognized TPG, and you're sitting pretty. Even if it didn't end up making the cut, I'd say you've done just fine anyway. Nice coin.

9. COOPER12

yes I think it is most certainly AU so worst case its AU Details again haha

Paul M. likes this.
  10. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Anything 270 years old that is lightly circulated would be black if it weren't cleaned somehow. That doesn't mean it was harshly cleaned. Don't sweat it - nice coin in nice condition and not over priced.

COOPER12 and lordmarcovan like this.
  11. lordmarcovan

I’d say the worst case scenario is XF details (because you never know what’ll happen when the TPGs pick the grades by throwing darts), but yeah, I’d say it has reasonable upside potential. And the downside potential is fairly small.

COOPER12 likes this.
  12. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I have a feeling it is a metal detector find and by necessity it was cleaned from being in the ground. With this in mind I wouldn't have high hopes or expectations of getting it to straight grade as it will always have that "look" to it. Regardless, it is a very nicely preserved coin and one that was acquired very affordably.

COOPER12 likes this.
  13. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

Remove from slab. No longer a "details" graded coin. ;)

Paul M., Maxfli, COOPER12 and 2 others like this.
  14. lordmarcovan

True ‘nuf.

COOPER12 likes this.
  15. COOPER12

maybe , I will know better when it arrives. It does not have the in ground look to me as far as pitting and corrosion but who knows.

16. COOPER12

someone else mentioned they thought it was VF-35 soooo who knows , I am no expert though comparing to other AU ones online it has as much detail , the few MS have a little more detail.

Paul M. likes this.
  17. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Nice coin. It is also smart of you to ask CT members for advice and opinions. Thank you for posting the coin! Be safe

lordmarcovan, Paul M. and COOPER12 like this.
  18. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Soil conditions vary and play a large part but silver coins tend to hold up very well in the ground. This is due to the fact that the metallic properties of silver makes it very resistant to corrosion and oxidation.

Hoards of silver coins dating back 800 or 1000+ years often turn up in pristine condition with no signs of degradation. In this article we can see what I'm referring to: https://www.theguardian.com/culture...-norman-coins-reveals-millennium-old-tax-scam. The level of preservation with the coins seen is quite marvelous.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    COOPER12 likes this.
  19. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I agree with almost all of this. It's a very nice coin, and one I would gladly own, even in a details slab. I'm pretty thumbs down on details coins past about 1800 or so, with the single exception of early large cents, but, for this coin, the label wouldn't bother me a bit.

IMO, with coins over 250 years old or so, you have to pretty much ignore details grades, anyway, and just buy the coin if you like the look of it, or don't buy it if you don't.

+1 to this. At the very least, I'd give it a shot at ANACS before sending it to PCGS. If ANACS details it, you're not out a ton of money. If they don't, you can either keep it as is, crack it, and decide later whether to send it to PCGS. If it were me, I'd probably leave it in the slab regardless, just because I'd feel silly paying money for a nice, protective holder that I was just going to destroy because I didn't like the label, but that might just be me.

I don't believe that as a general rule. I have an Alexander the Great drachm issued during his lifetime that's still as lustrous, bright, and white as the day it was minted. I find it hard to believe that coin had any significant cleaning done to it. It was probably dug up from an urn or something, so it didn't suffer the negative effects of burial and time.

I've also got a silver coin from the early 1690s that's definitely not toned black, which I've literally bet money that it's not cleaned. We'll see once PCGS gets done with it, I guess.

There are plenty of 220-ish year old US silver dollars that haven't been cleaned and have a nice, steel grey patina to them. I won't be around to win a bet on this, unless life extension technology makes some major advances, but, theoretically, I would bet a significant sum of money that of those, the ones that remained uncleaned would not turn black or anywhere near it.

I could give more examples, but I think everybody gets the point I'm trying to make.

Well... no longer "certified," but, pretty much any time a halfway knowledgeable collector or dealer looks at a coin, it gets "graded." :p That's actually one of my pet peeves, using the word "graded" rather than "certified." I don't generally complain much about it, because I know I've already lost that war, but it's technically correct, and that's the best kind of correct. :p

Anyway, @COOPER12, my advice to you would be to just ignore the label and enjoy your coin, at least until you want to sell. At that point, consider shipping it off to ANACS for their opinion, and, depending how that goes, also consider shipping it off to NGC. Regardless of how you or I feel about the details label on the slab, if you get it into good plastic, it will almost certainly sell faster and for more money than in the details slab.

Incidentally, there's a parallel discussion involving similar issues over in the ancient coins forum. My advice over there would be roughly the same, except that collectors of ancients tend to regard slabs as tombs, or, as I like to call them, "annoying plastic deposits", that get in the way of handling their coins. That, plus the fact that very, very few coins over 400 years old are what you'd call perfect pretty much means that things that would be considered problems on a modern coin really aren't on ancients.

For instance, ancient silver coins commonly have test cuts which were made in antiquity to determine if the coin was pure silver or just plated. On a modern coin, that's a ticket to "details -- damage," but, on an ancient coin, some people actually like them, kind of like chop marks on US Trade dollars.

Anyway, I've ranted enough. I guess I missed this place more than I thought. :p Enjoy your coin -- it's a nice piece. Who cares what NGC says about it, anyway?

lordmarcovan, NOS and COOPER12 like this.
  20. COOPER12

Coin came today , looks nice in hand . Color looks pretty good its a darker coin. Toning around the side is pretty nice and not as gray as the photos appear . for the money I am happy.

IMG_7497.jpg IMG_7496.jpg

21. lordmarcovan

I like it. “Crusty” in a mostly good way, I think, though NGC was not so moved.

COOPER12 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted