1750 8 Reales Pillar - what do you think?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by ilmcoins, Aug 17, 2017.

1. ilmcoins

ilmcoins Well-Known Member

I had these photos sent to me earlier of this 1750 8 Reales with the Mexico mint mark. I have never seen the rim look like that before? Authentic???

48167.jpeg
    48169.jpeg
    48195.jpeg
    48191.jpeg
    48190.jpeg
    48189.jpeg
    48188.jpeg
    48185.jpeg
    48184.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Over cleaned or fake, I go with fake.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

way over cleaned.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  5. ilmcoins

The cleaning doesnt scare me too much since I dont have one of these. I am mostly concerned with it being a fake.

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

that I can't tell you. they have some real pros in here that can tell you for sure...

7. ilmcoins

10-4 .... on standby for the experts to arrive! :)

8. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Maybe the polishing was done to disguise the surface roughness from casting.

9. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Nothing screams fake to me, but I'm certainly no expert. Regardless if it is real or not, it's heavily scratched on the obverse and has been polished to death. Do yourself a favor and wait for a better example.

10. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

looks F.A.K.E sorry :(

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Hard to say, A whizzing Job for sure.

12. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Are the rim serrations normal for this type?

13. ilmcoins

That was a potential red flag for me. I have not seen that before.

14. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

Looks like a cleaned coin to me, only thing that sticks out on the coin is the rim at the 8 position on looking at the obverse.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Can the rim look like that ? Yes, it is pretty common for some of the coins to have rims/edges that look like that.

But as you have already been told you should not buy the coin even if it is genuine.

16. ilmcoins

If it is genuine, I like it, and the price is right I may buy it regardless of what I have been "told". My question was about authenticity, not if you would buy it. I dont have anything like this in my collection.

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You should not buy it because the coin is damaged for one, severe scratches. And it has been polished to death on top of that.

Also, coins like this are fairly common and be purchased for relatively little money from people where the authenticity is guaranteed.

As to whether it is genuine or not I have no idea, and nobody else will able to say if it is or not with any degree of certainty either based on pictures. An in hand examination is the only way to know for sure.

18. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I think it's fake. I'd hold off.

19. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I too would hold off on buying it.
    1. looking totally cleaned polished.
    2. you can save up and buy 1 from a very reputable dealer for authenticity.
    3. if you go to resell this coin you will be stuck with a problem coin and it will be hard to sell.
    4. you asked for opinions. hold out for 1 that does not look cleaned.
    5. you will be happier in the future with a problem free coin.

20. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It's hard for me to say for certain due to the polish and glare, but I also believe it's authentic.

I know you didn't ask for opinions on buying, but I strongly agree with Spirityoda, especially points 3 and 5. I've purchased a number of bargain (i,e., problem) coins throughout the years that I regret now. However, if you can pick it up for beer money, then why not. But IMO, if you are going spend good money (good money = $100+ for me) on any coin, search for a solid, problem free example.

21. ilmcoins

This would be a $20 purchase. It is silver and from the 1700s so I really cant go wrong. Based on the feedback that I've seen I'm assuming that it has a good chance at being authentic

Oldhoopster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted