1723 Hibernia forgery.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by williamtipton, Apr 9, 2004.

1. williamtipton

williamtipton New Member

Well, i had a nice long post here and lost it before i could post it.
    So Ill just ask if anyone knows if this coin was indeed forged at some point.
    I cant find any info on this one in particular, well about forgeries of this one......

i bought it from Allens in columbus ohio last month.

I has a the signs of a forgery........like the unsmooth look and there is like small areas were there seems to be what look like air bubbles from being poured.

plus in an a lot of areas it seems ''filled in'' in the detail instead of '''worn''

Well, Im not a real ''collector'' by any means ........I just like the historical value and if this is a contemporary forgery it would be kind of cool......

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. National dealer

National dealer New Member

Welcome to the forum,

Well to make a short answer, all of the early American coppers have been recreated by forgers over the years. It is hard to tell if the coin in the photo is a forgery. Was the coin sold to you as a forgery?
    Almost all of the Early Coppers are crudely struck. The early minting process was still a learning proceedure in this country. To be certain of the coins origin, it would have to be viewed personally by a well versed collector or dealer whom specializes in these early coppers.
    No matter the result, you have a great conversation piece that should be enjoyed.
    Because even the counterfeits are seldom encountered.

4. williamtipton

williamtipton New Member

thanks......i kinda was figuring that forgery and the like was pretty common.
    Ive been reading about it all and it seems to have been a pretty profitable venture.

Well, it wasnt sold AS a forgery and it really doesnt matter to me if it is..........Im kind of trying to learn the ropes a bit more as to spotting this type of thing.

Ive included a close up pic of the biggest problem area that made me first think it may not be an original.
    Mine doesnt seem so much ''worn'' as it does filled in like it would be if it were made in a cast.

Attached Files:

5. National dealer

National dealer New Member

Well your pic didn't come across very good.

Anyways, forgeries are still very profitable. If the dealer did not sell the coin as a forgery, and it turns out to be, you should get your money back, or at least the difference. Every dealer should stand behind a guarantee of authenticity.

Since these early coins were struck crudely, a lot of coins will exhibit different characteristics. That is why it is so important to view the coin in person.

Now it sounds as if you are trying to learn the numismatic ropes, and that is always a good thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted