1722 Woods Hibernia

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Seascape, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Seascape

Seascape U.S. & World Collector

My newest Colonial.
    1722 Woods Hibernia 4.12 Be.1
    Double Struck Harp Left R-5

Hope you enjoy it as much as me. Been looking at it for a week or so because I have a Harp Right. Seller was compliant with some negotiations so I am happy with it.

As always.... comments welcome and encouraged.

Internet_20210827_203145_2.jpeg Internet_20210827_203145_1.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jerryc39

jerryc39 Well-Known Member

FBDFC3AA-5B66-474B-B3DE-75203F834B82.jpeg nice one! reverse looks a bit different..

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I like it!

MIGuy and Seascape like this.
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Nice Colonial !! Love finding them while Metal Detecting but not this old ! I'm Jealous from here , :inpain:

MIGuy, Seascape and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

what makes this a US coin?

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Me too.

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nothing, aside from the fact that it circulated in the American colonies and was thus included in the Red Book.

MIGuy, cplradar and Seascape like this.
  9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

10. Seascape

Very very nice example! Thanks for posting it.

My 1723.
    Internet_20210731_184650_1.jpeg Internet_20210731_184650_2.jpeg

alurid, scottishmoney and MIGuy like this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It’s considered by all standards to be a Colonial Issue. Woods created a number of coins that circulated freely in the US before it became the US. They also circulated afterwards for a time.

12. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I picked one up just recently in a set of four colonial coppers! Not so nice as you guys have, but it's my first and I got a great deal on an auction lot of the four - 1722 Woods Hibernia halfpenny, 2nd type. A 1785 Nova Constellatio with pointed rays. A 1787 Connecticut "Auciori" type and a 1787 New Jersey small planchet plain shield type that also has a small planchet clip. I've got to research these to figure out what the types are (other than what the seller represented). Any recommendations for resources? coloniallot.jpg colonialrevs.jpg

john65999, buckeye73 and Seascape like this.
  13. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Clearly the Woods Hibernia farthing and halfpenny can never be "US coins" since in 1723 there was no United States. OK, trivial point aside, the coins were minted for circulation in Ireland - hence the name "Hibernia" - where they were not well-received and were recalled. However, some but not very many made their way across the pond to the American Colonies and they did circulate here to a very small extent. Thus, most references and most collectors of colonial coinage consider them to be pre-federation colonial coinage and thus eligible to fall under the general rubric of "US coinage".

In light of this, I consider them to be part of my US Type Set which includes colonials and I have included the farthing and halfpenny in my set. Photos below.

Obv-Lightened-side.jpg Obv Lightened-side.jpg

14. Seascape

Hey thanks for posting! Nice coins. Get a copy of Whitmans encyclopedia of colonial and early american coins. 2nd edition. s-l400-5.jpg

MIGuy likes this.
  15. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I bought this example years ago raw (and cheap) to practice verdigris removal. This is pre treatment: I was able to remove nearly all the green stuff with repeated soaks in Verdi Care and use of a locust tree thorn. (sorry, no after pics).
    Hibernia obv.jpg Hibernia rev.jpg

Seascape likes this.
  16. Seascape

Well thems about as good as they get! Very nice. Thanks for sharing Publius.

17. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I have it and I'm the person that suggested that you get it.

18. Seascape

Yep. That is correct. Great advise.

MIGuy likes this.
  19. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

georgeiihalfpenny1723.jpg

My Hibernia Scissorhands halfpenny that I bought when I was a teenager and paid about twice as much as I should have for it.

20. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Nice, I really need to get a harp left!

Draft saved Draft deleted