1702 Potosi Cob 8 Reales, Presentation? KM? Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Pondering_Infinity, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Pondering_Infinity

Pondering_Infinity Active Member

Hi
    I recently acquired this Cob and think it is what is known as a "Presentation" strike.

Does anyone know how to attribute the KM # for this coin?

I do think for a Cob it is very well struck. The odd thing is it weighs 30 grams, which is a bit heavy for the average Cob 8 reales as I understand it.

Is that normal f a Presentation strike (if thats what it is) or a sign of a fake maybe?
    Thanks
    Gary 1702_8R_Rev.jpeg 1702_8R_Obv.jpeg 1702_8R_Obv.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

4. Pondering_Infinity

I was afraid that might be the case. Thanks

5. Pondering_Infinity

@Paddy54 Is it the weight alone or are there other signs that make you sure it is a fake?

6. Pondering_Infinity

like the way the Pillar on the left on the obverse does not quite line up as it should for example....

7. Paddy54

Weight should be >28g.
    Cross, lions and cassels the cross is incorrect your lions look like bbq lizards just removed from those bbq brick grills. Sorry look up some 8 reales compare

8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I have an interest in these. I found one on the beach thirty years ago. I am not even remotely an expert but I do look at these a lot and spend time on Sedgwicks website viewing them as well. I was following this thread because I was interested in the feedback..... Usually when these show up on CT they are the gift shop cast toy coins. Yours is definitely not one of those. But I have never seen one present like yours does either. It's too good. I am interested in knowing what the give away is.

9. Paddy54

Over the years they have used bars from wrecks to make copies of reales using the ship wreck silver Balist bars.
    They can claim the silver is from ....but mark cobs as copy.

10. Pondering_Infinity

Are you quite sure it is a copy as well? I posted it here because I suspected it was not quite right... first too heavy, then as you say almost... too perfect.....

11. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Oh no sir!! I am not an expert. I have an interest in them and study them a bit. I am far from expert enough to state that yours is a copy. I fully trust @Paddy54. He is far more a numismatist than I. My intent was to just concur with Paddy. I simply wasn't convinced with the way the piece presented. The devices and lettering are far sharper than anything I had seen on other Cobbs. And I cannot ever remember seeing one centered that well on both obverse and reverse.

Paddy54 likes this.
  12. Pondering_Infinity

I have heard of well struck well centered ones that were what is called Royal or "Presentation Copies"..... done specifically to display a quality version to show the King etc. That said.... it weighs too much and as you say, just never seen one sharp like this... odd....

13. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

Sharp? It has the appearance of a saltwater damaged coin which eats away at every part of a coin -- it often makes the devices and fonts look thinner -- that maybe what you mean by "sharp". Obviously, a saltwater damaged coin will lose weight due to the missing metal.

I googled "1702 8 reales royal" and this is the first hit. Clearly different.

What you haven't told us is where you got it from and how much you paid. Genuine royals are worth thousands. I suspect you paid much, much less.

Draft saved Draft deleted