1701 spanish coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by caseycade33, Nov 24, 2010.

1. caseycade33

caseycade33 New Member

Hi, need help on identifying a 1701 philip v coin. I will add pics if anybody could help that would be great!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

What you have there has design similarities to what is known as the Hapsburg design used on the coins of Phillip V in 1701 at the Mexico City mint. Problem is, that design was only used on the 8 escudos gold coins - not on silver. And even at that the assayers initials and some of the design characteristics are wrong.

I searched the books for similar designs from all of the other colonial mints and can find nothing. So I can only conclude that what you have is a fake of some kind.

4. caseycade33

caseycade33 New Member

What books are you referring to? During that time period the spanish war was going on and this design is what they used. I don't think somebody would go through all the trouble to make a fake like this.

5. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

6. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

7. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

Did you buy it on Ebay? There's a lot of fake coins on Ebay. If so, you should take it to a professional dealer and get his opinion on it's authenticity.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Cobs, Pieces Of Eight and Treasure Coins by Sewall Menzel - and that is not the design used on the 8 reales of the time.

As for why someone would go to the trouble - money. Spanish colonial coins are some of the most counterfeited coins there are.

Draft saved Draft deleted