17 Most Expensive US Coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by RaceBannon, Nov 22, 2011.

1. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Last year CNBC did one of those slideshow pieces about the 15 Most expensive US Coins. I don't know that I agree with their selections, after all you don't know what a coin will sell for until it's put up for auction, and some of these coins are in museums, so their prices are just estimates.

But it was still a heck of a lot of fun to click through the photos of these coins and let the imagination wander, or just look and salivate. Here's the link.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39639945?slide=1

I always thought the 1933 Double Eagle was the most expensive US coin. Wonder why it didn't even make this list? Also their top three most expensive coins are all patterns. I suppose it's because they are unique.

What do you believe the most expensive/rare/valued US coin is? Is your choice different from those on this list? Any thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I always have mixed emotions with these kinds of things. They always have very dubious information, and like you point out leaving the 33 double eagle makes it completely meaningless. Its cool that mainstream media covers coins, you just wish they could get more facts correct.

Chris

4. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I think their selection could have been a little better as well. As far as I know patterns are not technically coins because they aren't monetized, so that throws a wrench in their expensive "coins" title. But, at least they didn't include the 1913 Liberty Head nickel in their list...the world's most expensive counterfeit piece.
    Guy

5. x115

x115 Collector

I love that 1906 barber gold double eagle

6. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

The media using facts? Any journalist using actual facts in today's media is immediately terminated and banned from writing or reporting again. ;)

7. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

Wow what eye candy. Those coins would cause a traffic jam. Loved the 1838-0 Half (mouth dropped). I'm surprised the 1855-S 3 dollar gold piece didn't make the list. I saw a youtube video where they sold one at auction for 1.5 million. People started clapping.

8. 5dollarEdunote

5dollarEdunote Coin Connoisseur

That 1906 Pattern coin looks awesome...I'm surprised i've never seen it before this.

9. stlouiscoin

stlouiscoin New Member

I would have enjoyed seeing coins that have auctualy sold, I think most of us know the 33 double eagle is the most expensive coin ever, and you can't label a coin or pattern priceless, because someone will pay some amount of money for it. but overal, it was very interesting.

10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

1906 Barber Double Eagle
    Estimated Value: Priceless

This is a unique experimental coin made during the Colonial Era. ???? Where did they come up with that

11. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

I think that goes back to Chris's point above about the Mainstream Media and the general state of what passes for "journalism" in the US today. I'm pretty sure we checked our facts more thoroughly at my old high school news paper than many of the major news outlets do anymore.

12. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Somebody really had a bad day for news . Nice images of coins that nobody is going to have in their collections.

Oh and errors are rejects in most cases that got made to make somebody money when the were illegally taken out of the mint.:rollling:

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Nope, the Carter/Contursi 1794 dollar is currently the most expensive. It sold to the Cardinal Foundation for more than the 1933 double eagle sold for.

14. stlouiscoin

stlouiscoin New Member

hey conder101, how much did the 1794 dollar sell for? always good to update genral coin knowledge.

15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

16. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

It's not just the US, that's for sure. I read international media daily and it's worse around the world.

And yes, I thoroughly agree with earlier statements about lack of journalistic integrity and the sloppiness of the article. Just when I thought my opinion of the media couldn't drop any lower...

For the record, the highest price at auction was set by an American 1794 silver dollar (if memory serves). It broke a record held by another American coin, the 1933 $20.

17. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

...and the fact that they are in the Smithsonian national mint cabinet, and thus unavailable for sale at any price. IMO, only coins in permanent lockdown in museums should be considered priceless.

Draft saved Draft deleted