1672 Klippe 25 Stuivers Siege Coinage

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by areich, Aug 4, 2012.

1. areich

areich America*s Darling

Well, one is the other, is it not? I'm sure if I wanted to spend $40,000 that examples could be found everywhere, even from China.

Amanda

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes. That why they call them siege coins.

As I said in the beginning it's over-priced.

There are several, Goldberg, Steinberg, Teller, Northeast, just to name a few.

No it isn't the same at all, but both things can have the same effect on you. That being that you do not have the coin you want.

One thing you have to understand Amanda, when it comes to world coins like this it is not as easy to find them as it is to find US coins. There's really 2 reasons for that. 1 - they are not as popular in the US as US coins so not as many people deal in them. And 2 - the actual rarity of these coins, when compared to the rarity of of comparable US coins, usually exceeds the rarity of US coins. So there are not as many of them out there to begin with.

That said, dealers in these coins are well aware of that. So they play upon the emotions and the frustrations of collectors, and often will ask high prices hoping that the collector will just give in and pay it just so they can finally have the coin they want. I have succumbed to that temptation myself in the past.

That's where patience comes into play. If you don't want to pay premiums - you wait until the day comes that you don't have to. And it will come.

You need to also realize the the TPGs often over-grade world coinage. And then when the dealer obtains it the coin is priced accordingly. So if it's over-grade, it's also over-priced. The two things go hand in hand.

4. areich

areich America*s Darling

well, that last part is daunting.

5. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

I claim no numismatic knowledge or expertise. :p

This, however is what was written at the Heritage site for a lower quality similar coin that sold for $747:

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=3014&lotNo=24541

I think it is a great piece of history. But I don't collect silly coins. I do, however, accumulate pieces of history.

Interestingly, there are only seven examples graded by NGC:

45 (2)
    50 (3)
    55 (1)
    58 (1)

Despite what has been written, I'm not so sure that the coin is "overpriced."

This coin exemplifies the Dutch Rampjaar (year of disaster) of 1672 like no other.

Is it worth the money? That's your own view. I was outbid on the Heritage coin above by almost twice the amount it was finally sold.

That said, there are a couple rare world coins of little interest to most people but of historical significance that I would gladly overpay for. Unfortunately, for me there are a couple other people (with a lot more money) who think similarly.

As an historical aside, 1672 marked the beginning of the Netherlands' slow decline. I found this quote from Wikipedia interesting:

Good stuff,

guy

Draft saved Draft deleted